Neoclassic Buttercream - what am I doing wrong?
Posted: 16 March 2014 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Today is apparently not my day of making the Neoclassic. I’ve tried this twice today and failed both times. As soon as I added the boiling sugar syrup to the egg yolks, the syrup hardens right away. I am using hand mixer, the egg yolks are at room temperature. I moved the sugar syrup to a measuring cup that’s been sprayed lightly with baker’s joy. All the ingredients are weighted.

I’ve made the neoclassic several times in the past and always success. I’m not doing anything differently (at least not that I can recall). I give up for the day now but still curious as to what is causing this.

Anyone has any tips? red face

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 March 2014 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Jenn,

That sounds really frustrating, especially when it usually works.  I’m not sure what to say.  Perhaps a degree or two less on the sugar syrup or not transferring to the cup.  Just dump straight from pan (that’s usually what I do as I hate extra dishes!).  Good luck, let us know if you have success.

Posted: 16 March 2014 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2008-09-27

This may be unrelated, but is Baker’s Joy the right product to use for this? It contains flour, which can’t be a good thing to add to a sugar syrup.

But I too just pour the syrup from the pan. Take it off the eat a bit earlier, because it will continue to cook as you carry it to your mixing bowl.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 16 March 2014 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Sherrie and CharlesT. I’ve used Baker’s Joy in the past, I think. But I will try your suggestions - of just dumping straight from the pan next time.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 March 2014 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Jenn! 

I dump straight from the pan, as well (and I also use a hand mixer, FWIW).

—ak

Posted: 17 March 2014 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

When I make Italian buttercream I always use my Kitchen Aid because I want both hands free. I have not used my hand held mixer in the past 23 years. But if you have been successful in making this in the past, then this is a mystery. I would think this has something to do with temperature.
I know how it feels when u make something and it does not come out right. It is a waste of ingredients and ingredients are not cheap.

Good luck with your next one.

Posted: 17 March 2014 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Jenn, my guess would be that room temp in your kitchen right now is on the cool side (winter).  It may be that the (room temperature) eggs are cool enough, and the glass measure cool enough, that your syrup is solidifying more quickly than in warmer conditions.  I, too, skip the glass measure, and it may be that you need to skip it in the winter.  Also, the classic uses a lower sugar syrup temp than the other buttercreams, so it it probably a little more prone to this issue.

My favorite mixer for buttercreams is actually a stand mixer without planetary rotation (one where the bowl rotates and one of the beaters has a little button on the bottom).  Better than handheld mixer because your hands are free, and better than a kitchenaid because there is plenty of room to pour in the syrup while the beaters are running.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour