Need Help Baking White Velvet in 10 x 2 inch pan - Problems yesterday
Posted: 17 March 2014 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

I have made the 9 x 2 white velvet many times and it comes out beautiful.  I need to make a 10 x 2 inch cake - 3 layers (I need a tall cake).  I did a practice cake yesterday.  I made the batter for 2 10 inch layers.  I put baking strips on the first pan.  It baked for about 29 minutes and the toothpick came out with 2 or 3 crumbs on it.  The cake layer was very light but looked good.  The next layer I didn’t put the baking strips on.  It browned quite a bit.  I also must have put more batter in this pan as it rose up almost to the top of the pan.  This layer cracked on the top.  I took it out after 33 minutes because it was getting pretty brown.  It also only had a few crumbs on toothpick in the middle.  However, the toothpick test a few inches away showed no crumbs at all.  This layer I sliced off a little area where the crack was and the cake seemed very undercooked in that area.  I then baked half of the recipe for another 1 layer.  That one I put the cake strips on.  It cracked a little on the top.  I took it out about 30 minutes.  Again only a few crumbs in the middle but the other areas the toothpick was dry.  When I sliced off a little section where the crack was again it is very undercooked.  Do I have to use a heating core?  Should I have baked these layers longer?  Could it be my calculations?  The batter did seem more liquid than when I have made the 9 inch cake and other Rose recipes.  For the 2 layer cake I used 3 1/3 cups milk.  I used 6 2/3 tsp baking powder.  For the 2/3 tsp I used 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp to get the 2/3.  For the 1 layer 10 inch I used 1 2/3 cup of milk and 3 1/3 tsp baking powder.  I used 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp to get the 1/3.  Can someone let me know if my amounts were off? 

I am making the 3 layers because I need the height to put a small 6 inch ball pan cake on top.  I am going to fill the layers.  I am going to put dowels in to hold up the 6 inch and also a support dowel.  Will the bottom layer get squished since I am not putting the dowels in after the 2nd layer?

Thank you so much for your help.

Posted: 17 March 2014 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

A few thoughts:

- Don’t remove the cakes from the oven until the center tests clean- no crumbs.  This is more important in larger diameter cakes than smaller ones, where you can sometimes get away with a few crumbs clinging to the tester.
- Consider using a flower nail to conduct heat to the center.
- Consider weighing the batter into pans (weights are given in the back section).  Pans with too much batter will take longer to cook in the center and may not cook properly.
- Check your oven- sounds like it was running true to temp for the first layer but then may have been running a little hot by the third. 
- Cake strips are even more important for larger diameter layers than for smaller ones.
- I don’t have my book in front of me to check your liquids/leavening, but if the cakes didn’t sink or dome in the center (after cooling), then you were probably good on those counts. 
- Sometimes small things like older eggs, or flour/sugar with more moisture in them from ambient humidity can alter batter texture.  So can butter temp, of course. 

Hope something there helps.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 18 March 2014 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-24

Thanks Julie.  I am going to make another 1 layer 10 inch cake this weekend and try again using your tips.

Posted: 19 March 2014 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi Julie.  I just redid my math.  My milk in both the full recipe and 1/2 recipes were way off.  I should have used 1 2/3 cups in the full and 3/4 in the half.  I am going to make the 1/2 layer again this weekend and use tips.

Posted: 24 March 2014 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

good luck! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up