2 of 3
Flat Cake Top Tip - now, with photos!
Posted: 21 March 2014 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you all!

@Abbey—You will love this cake!  Oh, man, gotta hate leaving out that sugar!  I wonder if you could have poked holes in it and syruped it with a disproportionately sugar-heavy syrup??
@PrettyCake—OMG, you should see how tall the three 8” layer version is!  It scared me, so I went with two 9” layers, instead!!!

Posted: 23 March 2014 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Anne,

I so wanted to make that cake tonight, even tried for last night, but just didn’t get it done. I bought all of the ingredients, well, thought I had, but noticed I had no shortening. I’m hoping most of the ingredients will still be good by next weekend.

the German Chocolate cake came out of the oven looking like pancakes. At first, I thought the problem was the cocoa, because it was not alkalized, then I realized the recipe called for sifting the cocoa. I’m learning!! I bought some alkalized baking cocoa powder this weekend. Not adding the sugar was the big mistake though!!

Stayed tuned!! smile

Posted: 23 March 2014 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Flour Girl - 21 March 2014 11:14 AM
abbey - 21 March 2014 10:31 AM

ak——I bought some Coffee Extract and wondered what I’d use it for!!  I printed out this recipe and hope to get to it this weekend since I have a birthday cake to make for some folks here at work. I also have to try the German Chocolate Cake again since I left the sugar out of it last Sunday night, Can you believe it. I wondered what in the world was wrong and then I found the sugar sitting on the table, perfectly measured but left out. That’s the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. But I’ll try again.

Flour gilr, I made the wowie cake again with some good cocoa and used white distilled vinegar. It was so good. You couldn’t even tell the difference. It was wonderful but I did have trouble with my new 8in aluminum pan. I didn’t use my oil/flour spray so it stuck pretty good. I managed to salvage most of it.

Yes, you need to spray the pan. With this cake, in particular, you need to spray the cooling rack too. Also, I use a parchment round on all cakes I bake.

I’m so glad you like it! I have a cocoa version in my cake holder now.It does have a consistency close to regular cakes.

Nice to see you Abbey.

Hi Flourgirl,

I used the regular spray, not the spray w/flour. I need to improve my spraying technique as well. The cocoa version is vewy good.

I managed to bake the Banana Refrigerator Cake tonight just because I had to have a dessert for tomorrow for work and for my grandma. That is the best dang cake. I hope you are doing well and having fun.

Have a vonderful evening.

smile smile

Posted: 31 March 2014 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Anne,

I used your flat cake top tip and it worked. That was the best cake. One person said it was their favorite, even surpassing the French Silk pie from Tippin’s. 

Next time it will be even better. I bought the chocolate covered coffee beans, ground some up and put them in the flour mixture. I had to put the frosting in the fridge and worried it wouldn’t thicken up but it did. The cake cracked a little, but I was able to put it back together with the aid of the frosting.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised that it worked out so well and at how much people loved it, including myself. What a wonderful recipe, thank you!

It wasn’t as pretty as your cake but I will show you some pics anyway. wink

Image Attachments
ccake1.jpgccake.jpgccake2.jpg

Posted: 01 April 2014 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abby!

Thanks for posting!  I’m glad it worked for you, too!

And I’m really glad you enjoyed the cake—that was a great idea adding the ground choco covered coffeee beanas to the flour!  Your cake looks fabulous!

I’ve had the same experience with the Baked cakes.  People just love them—and I love those cooked flour frostings—they seem way lighter than they are, so they don’t scream “rich” even though they’re loaded with butter

—ak

Posted: 02 April 2014 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 23 March 2014 11:13 PM
Flour Girl - 21 March 2014 11:14 AM
abbey - 21 March 2014 10:31 AM

ak——I bought some Coffee Extract and wondered what I’d use it for!!  I printed out this recipe and hope to get to it this weekend since I have a birthday cake to make for some folks here at work. I also have to try the German Chocolate Cake again since I left the sugar out of it last Sunday night, Can you believe it. I wondered what in the world was wrong and then I found the sugar sitting on the table, perfectly measured but left out. That’s the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. But I’ll try again.

Flour gilr, I made the wowie cake again with some good cocoa and used white distilled vinegar. It was so good. You couldn’t even tell the difference. It was wonderful but I did have trouble with my new 8in aluminum pan. I didn’t use my oil/flour spray so it stuck pretty good. I managed to salvage most of it.

Yes, you need to spray the pan. With this cake, in particular, you need to spray the cooling rack too. Also, I use a parchment round on all cakes I bake.

I’m so glad you like it! I have a cocoa version in my cake holder now.It does have a consistency close to regular cakes.

Nice to see you Abbey.

Hi Flourgirl,

I used the regular spray, not the spray w/flour. I need to improve my spraying technique as well. The cocoa version is vewy good.

I managed to bake the Banana Refrigerator Cake tonight just because I had to have a dessert for tomorrow for work and for my grandma. That is the best dang cake. I hope you are doing well and having fun.

Have a vonderful evening.

smile smile

I’m sorry I haven’t sen this post before now Abbey. I’m so happy to hear you like it!!

My spraying skills need to be worked on too. I think I get more on my hand then the pan

Posted: 02 April 2014 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 31 March 2014 09:21 PM

Hi Anne,

I used your flat cake top tip and it worked. That was the best cake. One person said it was their favorite, even surpassing the French Silk pie from Tippin’s. 

Next time it will be even better. I bought the chocolate covered coffee beans, ground some up and put them in the flour mixture. I had to put the frosting in the fridge and worried it wouldn’t thicken up but it did. The cake cracked a little, but I was able to put it back together with the aid of the frosting.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised that it worked out so well and at how much people loved it, including myself. What a wonderful recipe, thank you!

It wasn’t as pretty as your cake but I will show you some pics anyway. wink

Your cake is beautiful!! Which cake is this? I love how the filling is nice and thick. I can’t seem to get mine thick like that no matter how much I pile it on.

Posted: 02 April 2014 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks ak!!

I will look at Baked cakes, because that was an amazing cake, frosting and all.

The frosting was light and I remember smiling while adding the butter, because it took forever to add it in, but man was it worth it.  smile

Posted: 02 April 2014 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

Here’s what I did:

I made the thickened milk stuff the day before and put it in the fridge. Then I took it out of the fridge the next day, along with the butter, and let them both sit out for a couple of hours.  Then I creamed the butter and added the thick milk stuff to it.  Done in an instant!!! The main thing is for the thick milk stuff to not be cold, but to be room temp, like the butter, and I find that to be easier if I just do it the day before (or the morning of).

You will like their books—they’re full of bundt cakes!!!!  They are huge bundt cake fans, and I know you and FG are, too!

—ak

Posted: 02 April 2014 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, FG!

It’s from Baked Explorations—the Chocolate Coffee Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache (link to recipe on page 1 of this post).

It’s super yummy!!

—ak

Posted: 02 April 2014 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks Anne. That sounds like a good plan to me.

Do you think it really needs the shortening?

Abbey

Posted: 02 April 2014 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

I’ve asked them about the role of shortening, and they say it makes a higher, springier cake.  I use Spectrum non-hydrogenated, FWIW.  I think you could certainly do without it and still have a great cake.  Let me know if you try it!!!!

—ak

Posted: 02 April 2014 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

that cake looks delicious

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 April 2014 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Your cake is beautiful!! Which cake is this? I love how the filling is nice and thick. I can’t seem to get mine thick like that no matter how much I pile it on.

Thank You, Flourgirl. I didn’t see this post, yesterday, either.  We were typing at the same time!!

This was my first time making any kind of frosting from scratch so I don’t know why it is thinker. Possibly all that butter. It is such a light frosting though, but very flavorful.

I want that book so I’ll be checking Amazon today.  I know you referred to it many times. What have you baked from those cookbooks that caught your attention?  Buntd cakes for sure. 

Abbey smile

Posted: 03 April 2014 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Anne in NC - 02 April 2014 05:18 PM

Hi, Abbey!

I’ve asked them about the role of shortening, and they say it makes a higher, springier cake.  I use Spectrum non-hydrogenated, FWIW.  I think you could certainly do without it and still have a great cake.  Let me know if you try it!!!!

—ak

Hmmm. Well, springy is good. I keep hearing about Spectrum—will keep an eye!! Found the spray at Natural Grocers so suppose they carry the shortening.

I will let you know—ak and thanks so much again for all the help. smile

2 of 3