3 of 3
Flat Cake Top Tip - now, with photos!
Posted: 26 April 2014 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I used this method again today on a different cake, and it, again, worked perfectly.  If you have never tried this, you have got to try it—it is so amazing.

Just thought I’d mention since I’d only tried it once before, and I wanted to confirm it wasn’t a fluke.

Happy Day!

—ak

Posted: 27 April 2014 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi—ak

Do you care to share which cake you baked? 

I will most definitely mix up the golden lemon cake that Sophia made and that so many people love.

It seems that once I get started in the kitchen, I just can’t stop, mostly because I figure I’ve everything at my finger tips-room temp. butter and eggs, all my measuring cups, oven is on…you know what I’m talking about? 

I will try your way again, with the making of a flat top cake, but did learn to be careful how far I let the batter inch up on the sides.  I had one side that rose up too far, though all was well in the end—I just ate the evidence. smile 

Later!!

Posted: 27 April 2014 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

I let my cake batter go all the way to the rim—but not over—and I’ve not had any problem with it rising too high.  Usuaslly, the cakes are flat and about 1/2 inch from the top of a 9x2 high pan.  Maybe your pans were too full???

I made the Antique Caramel Cake from Baked Elements.  There’s a link to the recipe at the end of this post:  http://www.solanoskitchen.com/baked-sunday-mornings-antique-caramel-cake/

I made 1.5x batch to bake in 9”, rather than 8” pans.  I used 1/2 the powdered sugar called for in the frosting, and I poked holes in teh warm layers and soaked them with Baked’s Sweet & Salty Caramel. The frosting is amazing, but I can’t imagine it having more sugar than i put in it.  Wooooo!  I suppose caramel cakes are supposed to be really sweet, but woooahhhh!

We’ll be eating it tomorrow! 

—ak

Posted: 27 April 2014 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you ak!

I only have the ingredients for the cake and the caramel sauce. Do you think it will work without the frosting? Hmmm. Maybe I should wait. I could use a bundt pan and then cover it with the sauce?

You are probably right about the pans being full. I do like that method, and will continue to use it.

I’m sure you are right about leaving out all of that sugar, probably a very good move.

Please let me know how ‘Good’ it is!!

Abbey  

Posted: 27 April 2014 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

If you mean the caramel sauce that is a component of the frosting—the one with dark brown sugar that is not “real” caramel (i.e., white sugar cooked to dark amber, etc.)—then, no.

If you mean the sweet ‘n’ salty caramel sauce (or the classic caramel sauce), made with white sugar and cooked to dark amber, then yes—you could drizzle that on a bundt, or poke holes all in the warm bundt, drizzle it on, and let it soak in.  Either one would work.

I’ll let you know how it came out tomorrow!!

Have a great evening!

—ak

Posted: 28 April 2014 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Abbey—Update—The cake is amazing and definitely worth making!

Posted: 28 April 2014 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good to know Anne and thanks.

Last night, while mixing up the Golden Lemon Almond Cake, I worried hadn’t made it clear enough about which sauce I was talking about. I meant the sweet’n'salty but didn’t get it done. I got a late start and I wish so much that I could get in the mode of baking after work - I have just enough heavy cream for the sauce. 

That cake does sound exceptionally worth it. Maybe I can muster up some energy and get ‘er done tonight or maybe tomorrow night or.. wink

Just in case others read this too—the golden almond cake was excellent and everyone else thought so. Once again, I forgot to add the sugar to the almonds while processing AND I realized many of the recipes call for blanched almonds. Next time, I’ll boil them and squeeze the skins off em.  that should be fun. So, anyway, I think those few issues caused the cake to be not as perfect as it could/should have been. But it was goobled up pretty darn fast this morning. 

Thanks again ak, your help is appreciated. I will communicate my progress with this cake. Was the frosting too sweet or just right?

Abbey

Posted: 28 April 2014 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

The frosting worked out fine with the reduced amount of powdered sugar!

FWIW, I never both blanching almonds—or blanching mine.  I just use them skins on.  You will have to decide if it’s worth blanching, squeezing, and drying when you try it next time!

—ak

Posted: 28 April 2014 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi—ak!!

Thanks for letting me know about the almonds. Ha!! I think I know the answer to that. smile

This cake uses the turbinado sugar and I really didn’t think that by not blanching the almonds and not processing the sugar with them, it would make such a difference in the texture. Twas the sugar, I’m sure.

Glad to hear your frosting was fine. I’ll keep that in mind. cool smile

Abboy

3 of 3