2 of 2
What makes bakery cakes so bad? Serious question.
Posted: 25 March 2014 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

@Matthew—I don’t think unbleached flour alone causes a poor texture.  I use it frequently—and plenty of good recipes call for it (the “Baked” recipes use AP flour, and I called them and asked if the use bleached or unbleached, and they use unbleached) or at least work quite well with it.  Although some may prefer bleached—and certain recipes (like Rose’s) might work better with bleached—I think the true poor texture comes from something else—probably just a bad recipe, created for cheapness and appearance!!!!

Posted: 29 March 2014 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2008-01-24

I was in a Whole Foods store the other day and I talked to a ‘baker’ behind the cake counter. She said that they bake 75% of their cakes from scratch in store but some of their cakes are assembled from rounds that are shipped in from the corporate bakery in Colorado. Then I asked her about ingredients and she was a bit fuzzy. I asked if the cakes were ‘butter cakes’. Her reply was, “What do you mean?” Flummoxed I simply repeated the question to which she replied, “Well we do use butter in our cakes.”
All of this has the caveat that at Whole Foods the stores are allowed to individuate. She said some stores do not bake in house at all. The bottom line…
Most ‘Corporate Food’ just isn’t very good.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 29 March 2014 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  702
Joined  2012-01-12

Well honestly it is either buy it or don’t buy it, but do not expect them to make their cakes according to your taste. I have never asked any bakery what they put in their baked goods. I expect that they do not prepare them how I make mine. Business is business, but I won’t go around policing what they bake and interrogating the baker.

2 of 2