Where to buy pure coconut extract in Toronto?
Posted: 24 March 2014 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2014-02-07

I hate the taste of artificial coconut extract.  I looked high and low for pure coconut extract in Toronto.  I found some in the U.S. but I don’t want to purchase on-line.  Has anyone come across any?

Posted: 22 April 2014 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

I just got a bottle of pure organic coconut extract at Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver today! It’s always one of the highlights of my trip to get to go there and buy some amazing unusual baking and cooking stuff! smile

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-02-07
kuchenbaaker - 22 April 2014 12:17 AM

I just got a bottle of pure organic coconut extract at Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver today! It’s always one of the highlights of my trip to get to go there and buy some amazing unusual baking and cooking stuff! smile

Oh, that sounds amazing!  But, I live in Toronto :(

Posted: 24 April 2014 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

I see that Golda’s Kitchen has LorAnn Bakery Emulsion in coconut flavour. I’ve used some of their products and they’re quite good. Unfortunately it is an artificial flavour. The one I got in YVR is from “Vann’s Spices” which is out of Baltimore. They do ship and you could look into that.
But you may find it in a specialty baking or gourmet food store - or even try a Health Food place - they often carry more of the “100% natural” type of thing. Good luck with it! Perhaps you can pick some up next time you’re in the USA… I have learned the hard way to GRAB stuff when I see it - even if I only THINK I may want it in the future. Because chances are when you really want it - you’ll never find it :( I have brought home lotsof liquids in my suitcases - just bubble wrap them well, and place in between lots of clothing. Never had any trouble yet! (I just schlepped a frozen salmon home too!:) )

Posted: 25 April 2014 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-02-07
kuchenbaaker - 24 April 2014 01:14 PM

I see that Golda’s Kitchen has LorAnn Bakery Emulsion in coconut flavour. I’ve used some of their products and they’re quite good. Unfortunately it is an artificial flavour. The one I got in YVR is from “Vann’s Spices” which is out of Baltimore. They do ship and you could look into that.
But you may find it in a specialty baking or gourmet food store - or even try a Health Food place - they often carry more of the “100% natural” type of thing. Good luck with it! Perhaps you can pick some up next time you’re in the USA… I have learned the hard way to GRAB stuff when I see it - even if I only THINK I may want it in the future. Because chances are when you really want it - you’ll never find it :( I have brought home lotsof liquids in my suitcases - just bubble wrap them well, and place in between lots of clothing. Never had any trouble yet! (I just schlepped a frozen salmon home too!:) )

I bought a 1 dram size of LorAnn’s coconut flavor to try but the Coconut Bakery Emulsion one sounds better.

Thanks!

Posted: 01 June 2014 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Hello again! A while after reading your last post it occurred to me that - the LorAnn extracts are meant to use for candy or chocolate flavourings (regular extracts will seize the chocolate)(I know cuz it has happened to me :( ). They are super concentrated! So if you decide to use for cakes or frostings use them very sparingly! Best of luck and do keep us posted on sourcing the emulsion. One other suggestion I have is to sub Coconut Oil for some of the butter. It has a lovely subtle flavour, and results in velvety textured baked goods.

Posted: 19 August 2014 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-02-07

Hi kuchenbaaker - Thanks for the update, I didn’t know that.  I did use LorAnn coconut extract and it was a bit better than the store-bought imitation ones.  It is still an artificial extract but not as bad.

‹‹ Angel cake cutter      raspberry conserve ››