Coconut Pound Cake
Posted: 24 March 2014 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2014-02-07

Really moist coconut pound cake!  The only thing is I hate the taste of coconut extract and have yet to find pure coconut extract in Toronto.  I’ve also tried recipes with coconut milk, but found they were too dense and the coconut taste was quite mild. 

Other than the coconut extract, this was a really good cake - all gone in 24 hours!

* I need to work on my drizzle skills - I was lazy and couldn’t wait to eat the cake!

http://www.dramaticpancake.com/2012/04/coconut-pound-cake/

Image Attachments
DSC_0388-PM.jpg

Posted: 27 March 2014 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

Have you checked out Golda’s Kitchen? Other than that - I would recommend you look online. I have purchased a LOT of cake decorating and baking items from Sugarcraft, PME, Global Sugar Art, Confectionary House etc. all through Amazon. I live in Alberta but I have it sent to Blaine WA and my son in Vancouver BC picks it up for me - as shipping to Canada is just ridiculous! I have found Pistachio, Lime and Maple Extracts - so Coconut should be no problem. As a last resort you could also try some of the ethnic food stores - perhaps Caribbean or Indian would carry that? A last suggestion is using some Cream Of Coconut - Coco Lopez or the like - but I’ve also found that to be scarce herein Canada. I’m always on the hunt for weird things like that everytime I go to the U.S. A jaunt down to Buffalo or Detoit from there wouldn’t be too tough!
Good luck!

Posted: 27 March 2014 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

Beautiful cake BTW - did you use A/P flour in it? I am always pretty reluctant to try “Southern” recipes here as they are far too high in sugar - and our altitude, lack of humidity and hi protein flour spell disaster for them! So many of those recipes don’t specify or use “A/P” which is not the same as ours! Argh!!

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-02-07
kuchenbaaker - 27 March 2014 01:06 PM

Have you checked out Golda’s Kitchen? Other than that - I would recommend you look online. I have purchased a LOT of cake decorating and baking items from Sugarcraft, PME, Global Sugar Art, Confectionary House etc. all through Amazon. I live in Alberta but I have it sent to Blaine WA and my son in Vancouver BC picks it up for me - as shipping to Canada is just ridiculous! I have found Pistachio, Lime and Maple Extracts - so Coconut should be no problem. As a last resort you could also try some of the ethnic food stores - perhaps Caribbean or Indian would carry that? A last suggestion is using some Cream Of Coconut - Coco Lopez or the like - but I’ve also found that to be scarce herein Canada. I’m always on the hunt for weird things like that everytime I go to the U.S. A jaunt down to Buffalo or Detoit from there wouldn’t be too tough!
Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Golda’s doesn’t have any.  I would prefer not to buy online due to shipping costs and duty in the U.S.  I’d also like to stay away from coconut milk or cream, but I might have to.

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-02-07
kuchenbaaker - 27 March 2014 01:09 PM

Beautiful cake BTW - did you use A/P flour in it? I am always pretty reluctant to try “Southern” recipes here as they are far too high in sugar - and our altitude, lack of humidity and hi protein flour spell disaster for them! So many of those recipes don’t specify or use “A/P” which is not the same as ours! Argh!!

Sorry for the late reply.  I always use unbleached flour when a recipe calls for all purpose flour.  I know baking is a science, but I’ve had good results when I reduce the sugar in recipes.  I know what you mean about sugary cakes, etc.  For the coconut pound cake, I reduced the sugar from 2 cups to 1-3/4 cup.

Thanks for your kind comment as well smile