Decisions
Posted: 25 March 2014 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-03-25

Hi all I have just started making my own bread. I’m using Alison Wholemeal strong flour . I’m slightly confused as to whether I need to knead or not. I do nit have a bread maker nor will I buy one. I think they are just a gimmick and bread has been made for generations without bread makers. My first loaf was yummy however, it was a little dense, no not like me I hear you say cool hmm I have noted that some advisors suggest knead for 10 minutes. Any suggestions please, thanks.

Posted: 25 March 2014 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-11-15

I suggest you buy or borrow a good book, one at least, as there are plenty of good ones out there, including one by our hostess, Rose Levy Berenbaum.  I make my own bread and it is something that gets better and easier the more you practise it.

Posted: 25 March 2014 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Phillz!

Welcome!

Rose has also put a few bread recipes out on the blog:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/recipes/bread/

Hope they’re helpful!

—ak

Posted: 25 March 2014 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27
Phillz - 25 March 2014 02:05 PM

I have noted that some advisors suggest knead for 10 minutes. Any suggestions please, thanks.

Hi Phillz:  You knead the bread until it’s done. You can’t just knead for a certain amount of time. Google on “bread window pane”.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach