need recipe for white frosting to decorate a cake, looking for something particular…
Posted: 29 March 2014 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-11-13

I am making a single layer flourless (bittersweet) chocolate cake, pouring a chocolate-amaretto glaze over.  I thought of decorating with whole blanched almonds, dipped halfway in chocolate, around the outer edge of the top.  And, in over-thinking it (as I usually do), I wonder if maybe something white underneath the almonds would look better.  It has to be room-temperature stable, since the cake is best at room temperature and I was planning to leave it on the buffet during dinner (as a reminder to not eat so much, there’s dessert coming!).  Dollops of a white chocolate mousse with a few almond clustered in each?  Or something else? 

I welcome all ideas.  And, please, make it rather simple as I will be making only a small quantity of this and will have the rest of dinner to prepare as well.  smile

Signature 

http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 March 2014 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  748
Joined  2012-01-12

If it will be at room temp for a while, then mousse probably not the best one. How about meringue that slightly browned using a torch or white chocolate ganach that is piped into rosettes ?

Posted: 01 April 2014 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  935
Joined  2009-05-25

I think the almonds would be fine on a chocolate background.  Dede Wilson has a wedding cake in her Wedding Cake Book that has a chocolate glaze with almond decor…very sophisticated.

Posted: 14 April 2014 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-11-13

I ran with the almond suggestion!  smile

I placed a band of sliced, toasted almonds around the top of the cake (about 1-1/2” wide); then I melted white chocolate and dipped strawberries halfway in it.  The three largest berries I placed in the center of the cake, and I used the others to garnish each individual slice.  It looked awesome, but I was so rushed by prepping the dinner that I didn’t take a photo.  :(

Signature 

http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com