need recipe for white frosting to decorate a cake, looking for something particular…
Posted: 29 March 2014 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-11-13

I am making a single layer flourless (bittersweet) chocolate cake, pouring a chocolate-amaretto glaze over.  I thought of decorating with whole blanched almonds, dipped halfway in chocolate, around the outer edge of the top.  And, in over-thinking it (as I usually do), I wonder if maybe something white underneath the almonds would look better.  It has to be room-temperature stable, since the cake is best at room temperature and I was planning to leave it on the buffet during dinner (as a reminder to not eat so much, there’s dessert coming!).  Dollops of a white chocolate mousse with a few almond clustered in each?  Or something else? 

I welcome all ideas.  And, please, make it rather simple as I will be making only a small quantity of this and will have the rest of dinner to prepare as well.  smile

Signature 

http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 March 2014 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-01-12

If it will be at room temp for a while, then mousse probably not the best one. How about meringue that slightly browned using a torch or white chocolate ganach that is piped into rosettes ?

Posted: 30 March 2014 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

What about simply decorating it with blanched almonds—not dipped?  They will sit on the glaze and be their own contrast.  You could arrange them in little daisy shapes or follow the permiter or start from the cener and overlap as you go outward in a big single-flower affair.  Or you could dip something larger partway in chocolate (so chocolate wouldn’t make it so dark)—maybe fortune cookies—and put them on the top.

Posted: 01 April 2014 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I think the almonds would be fine on a chocolate background.  Dede Wilson has a wedding cake in her Wedding Cake Book that has a chocolate glaze with almond decor…very sophisticated.

Posted: 14 April 2014 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-11-13

I ran with the almond suggestion!  smile

I placed a band of sliced, toasted almonds around the top of the cake (about 1-1/2” wide); then I melted white chocolate and dipped strawberries halfway in it.  The three largest berries I placed in the center of the cake, and I used the others to garnish each individual slice.  It looked awesome, but I was so rushed by prepping the dinner that I didn’t take a photo.  :(

Signature 

http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com