Replacing sugar with honey?
Posted: 31 March 2014 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-12-16

All_

I am making a few cakes for a tasting and I need a little help.  On a trip to Dubai a few months ago, I came across some lavender oil.  One of the cakes I am making for the bride to be to try is a vanilla honey cake with a lavender oil scented mousseline buttercream.  I have the buttercream down, and I have tried one version of the cake, using a standard white cake and then soaking it with a honey sugar syrup.  However, I was thinking about adding some of the honey directly to the cake batter.  Do any of you have any thoughts on this?  Is this a straight substitution by weight?  Any ideas on a ratio that would be appropriate (I can’t imagine substituting the entire sugar weight with honey…but who knows)?  Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Best_

Nathan

Posted: 01 April 2014 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-04-01

I really appreciate your way of thinking. I do not have much experience in adding honey in place of sugar. But you need to take good ratio on adding the honey in place of sugar. Just try for the first time and i wish your cake do wonders. Thanks

Posted: 03 April 2014 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Honey is 17% water and 82% sugar, so you substitute by weight for some of the sugar and liquid in the recipe.  Not sure of the exact amount, but you might start with 15 or 20% of the sugar by weight.  Please report back on what you went with and how your cake turned out.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 April 2014 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I measure in grams.  I have extensively used honey instead of sugar, equal weight, for sponge cakes: biscuit and genoise.  Also for cheesecakes.  Butter cakes where sugar is very important for texture, you can’t because sugar isn’t fully dissolved and the crystals structure is required for the cake texture.
Honey is liquid!

See the queen bee cake on cake bible.  It is a sponge biscuit and it is moistened with honey syrup.  I made the cake part with honey instead of sugar.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 07 April 2014 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

If you have the Bread Bible, there is a whole section in the ingredients section about this substitution and the complexities involved in making it. This is just off the top of my head from memory, but beyond the obvious water content difference, I believe honey is also less sweet than sugar, but it causes more browning. Of course, granulated sugar has a big impact on the texture of a cake, so replacing it with a dissolved sugar will also change the texture.

Posted: 07 April 2014 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2012-01-12

No matter how it is said, liquid, water, gas or whatever, it is not the same as sugar. Unless it is for health or medical reasons, don’t make it hard on yourself. Anyway, good luck and let us know of your success.

Posted: 30 August 2014 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2014-08-28

Well, I always use sugar so can you give the list of cakes in which i can use honey. And also tell me the proper amount so my cake is not become worse.

Signature 

Online cake Delivery