Buttercream Frosting for a four-tiered wedding cake
Posted: 01 April 2014 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-04-01

I am baking my first four-tiered wedding cake that will be covered with buttercream rosettes piped on with a 1M tip.  Can anyone please tell me the approximate number of cups of frosting that I will need for the cake?  Also, since the cake will be on the inside with air conditioning can I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening in my buttercream frosting for the rosettes?

Posted: 02 April 2014 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi, victorian.  Welcome!  I’m not sure if you have Rose’s The Cake Bible, but I know the rosettes take a lot of buttercream.  I can’t offer specifics since I don’t know the sizes of your tiers… I’m guessing, but I’d think at LEAST double Rose’s recommended frosting guidelines in the Wedding Cake section, plus another batch?  I’m not sure what kind of frosting you are using, but I’ve only made Mouselline with butter.  Since you are indoors, I don’t think the shortening is necessary.  Some people use it because it is more stable at higher temperatures than butter; however, you have a nice, temperature controlled environment to work with and you should be A.O.K. with butter!  Lucky you!

Posted: 02 April 2014 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-01

Thanks so much for your help!  I appreciate it.  The tiers are 6”, 8”, 10” and 12”.

Posted: 02 April 2014 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

It will take a lot more buttercream than you think!  I would make a batch size with 6 pounds of butter to cover the outside of that size with rosettes; so I would say to make the large scale mousseline buttercream recipe in the back of TCB three times which will be more than enough.

If you are making the rosettes in a color, use the same color to crumb coat your tiers, the rosettes sometimes have gaps or spaces that will not be so noticeable if your crumb coat is the same color.  Good luck!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 02 April 2014 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2012-01-12

It is better to make a lot more than just enough. You can always use the left over on other cakes or as a filling to macarons and more.

You really do not want to stop and make more if u are in the middle of filling and frosting.

Posted: 03 April 2014 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-01

Thanks so much for all of your advice.  I plan to stack and pipe the rosettes on-site so I have been stressing about having enough crusting American buttercream made up.red face  The wedding is 3:00 next Saturday and now I am trying to decide whether to stack and pipe Friday night or Saturday morning since the location is only a few miles away.  Since this will be my first time I think probably Friday night to give me plenty of time. 

Posted: 07 April 2014 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

Hmmm. I don’t know how much to suggest then, because American Buttercream is different than the meringue buttercreams.  There’s pros and cons about stacking Friday night (you have to store the stacked cake once it is finished); or stack/pipe at the venue (it could take much longer than you think; you have to bring everything you could think of to cover any possibility, they may not want you working in the room while their staff is setting up, or they may be perfectly ok with it.  Better to know in advance than have to do it in your car outside!)

Good luck!  I’m sure you will do fine and it’s nice of you to create such a wonderful cake for them!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 08 April 2014 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-01

Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement!  I am thinking of taking approx. 70 cups of frosting with me.  Hopefully that will be enough.  The venue is at the church that I attend and all of the people decorating are my friends so I am still trying to decide whether to go either late Friday night or very early Saturday morning.  I want to start in plenty of time but I cannot help but think the longer it stays stacked the chance of something happening to it is greater.  (I can imagine all kinds of cake disasters!) This will be my first time to stack tiers so I know it will take me a lot longer than someone experienced.  I am using the SPS 4” columns and plates.  I am having trouble getting my cake layers to bake as high as I need them too for the 4” tier so I am thinking of baking three thinner layers (a little more than 1”) and two thin layers of frosting (1/4”) to get my 4” of height needed for the columns but that makes me even more nervous.  The recipe that I am using is a little dense but moist.  I am too nervous to tier, stack and pipe all of that buttercream on a fluffy cake.  I gave the bride a sample cake and she said it was awesome so that makes me feel better.