Perfect Pound Cake. Help!
Posted: 02 April 2014 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-04-02

Hi all,

The first time I made this recipe, I made it in cupcake form and I didn’t have any problems. I attempted this in a loaf pan yesterday and much to my dismay, my first one didn’t split, and the interior of the cake had darker spots. The second was a big big fail because I forgot the sugar (we sliced this up really thin and spread jam on it) and the third came out with a really nice natural split, but as it was cooling, it sank to a flat top. It also had the dark spot thing going.

I substituted cake flour with 125g all purpose and 25g cornstarch. The cake was baked at 175C for an hour, foil covered at the 30 minute-mark.

Am attaching a photo - would anyone be able to advise?

Many thanks.

Image Attachments
Photo0013.jpg

Posted: 02 April 2014 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-02

I’m not sure, CharlesT. It was the only one available at the baking wholesaler. Which is required for this cake? I can try asking for it.

Posted: 03 April 2014 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-02

Thanks for all the tips guys. Also sent the picture to my aunt - she says it is underbaked. I called the baking wholesaler and they didn’t know if it was bleached or unbleached. I can get both bleached and unbleached easily in Singapore though so I will wait till I go back to Singapore and try again. Funnily enough, the cake tastes great! It’s not pudding-like at all. I was so disappointed because it looked so pretty when it first came out of the oven - it deflated to a flat top 10 minutes later :( Will keep the thread updated with the progress when I get to try again! I think three pound cakes over two days is overdoing it for my family of four at home haha.

Posted: 04 April 2014 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-02

Okay. My flour is unbleached. Will try to find bleached flour. I had cake flour back in Singapore - just not here. The other cakes that I’ve made from TCB were mainly when I was in Singapore. My TCB is still there so I wasn’t able to troubleshoot. The split was natural - I was just surprised by how pretty it looked. I am going to try using cake strips and baking at a lower rack for slightly longer.

Posted: 04 April 2014 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-02

Hi Freshkid, I used the Perfect Pound Cake recipe from TCB.

Posted: 05 April 2014 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-02

Hi Freshkid,

I am actually in Southeast Asia. My mum and I went searching today and we managed to get some cake flour. My family apparently enjoyed the cake so they want me to make it again. I will try it with just the cake flour next week and see if that solves the problem.

Would it be too much trouble to ask the difference between the creaming and mixing methods?

Thank you so much for your time and for sharing your knowledge, Freshkid. I really really appreciate it!

desselbos.

Posted: 06 April 2014 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-02

Hi CharlesT,

Thanks for the explanation. I am not sure I want to sacrifice the texture (also my stand mixer is also over 25 years old - my mum had it before she had me - so I don’t want it to overheat with all that mixing) so I will try the cake flour with Rose’s method and bake for slightly longer and see if that works. Am baking this tomorrow!

Yes yes I know what you mean! My family was surprised when they tried it! I was when I made the cupcake version too smile I’m just upset that it sank and there was that uneven colouration when I made it in the loaf pan.

desselbos.