Custard Help
Posted: 03 April 2014 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-04-03

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this message board and am very excited to get an opportunity to be apart of it.  I love to bake and cook.  I recently tried to make a custard with eggs, salt, milk, nutmeg, vanilla extract.  The directions said to heat oven to 350 for 35-40 mins.  I did it for 35 mins, I let it cool but the problem I had was it tasted like scrambled eggs.  Why would that be? 

Thank you,
Crystal

Crystal Creative Ideas
http://www.crystalcreativeideas.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 April 2014 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-01-12

I do not see your recipe, but I make Flans all the time. I think they are very similar. How many eggs did u use and how much milk ? Did u use sugar ?

Posted: 03 April 2014 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-03

Here is the recipe I used. How do you make yours?

Ingredients

4 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (12 fluid ounce) canNESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
ground nutmeg

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
COMBINE eggs, sugar and salt in large mixer bowl. Add evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract; beat until mixed. Pour into six 6-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place cups in 13 x 9-inch baking pan; fill pan with hot water to 1-inch depth.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove cups to wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Thank you,
Crystal

Crystal Creative Ideas

Posted: 04 April 2014 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

I cannot figure out why it taste like scrambled eggs even with all the other ingredients added.  If you think about it, scrambled eggs is all eggs, no milk, no sugar, no water or none of the ingredients that shows on your recipe.  if it does,  would you eat this for breakfast with toast and bacon ?  When I make my Flan (pictured here),  I use 10 egg yolks, 4 cups of milk, vanilla, lemon rind and sugar. 

Have you made this b4 ? Maybe add some other flavoring like lemon or orange.
Try it again, and maybe use very fresh eggs and see how it taste.

Image Attachments
flan.jpg

Posted: 04 April 2014 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-03

That looks so good!!!  I want to try that.  It could be that I may have cooked it too long.  Maybe I should have checked it 25 mins into the baking and I should try just egg yolks.  Thats a great idea to eat them for breakfast.  How long do you bake your Flan and at what temp? 

Thank you,
Crystal

Crystal Creative Ideas

Posted: 04 April 2014 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank u Crystal,

I bake my flan in a water bath for 1 hour at 350degrees. But it has to chill overnight.

Posted: 04 April 2014 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18
crystal silva - 03 April 2014 09:06 PM

Here is the recipe I used. How do you make yours?

Ingredients

4 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (12 fluid ounce) canNESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
ground nutmeg

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
COMBINE eggs, sugar and salt in large mixer bowl. Add evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract; beat until mixed. Pour into six 6-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place cups in 13 x 9-inch baking pan; fill pan with hot water to 1-inch depth.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove cups to wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Thank you,
Crystal

Crystal Creative Ideas

CRYSTAL:
Good morning. I believe your baked product tasted like scrabbled eggs is because they began to scrabble like they should do once the internal heat reaches & exceeds 185, degrees.

Crystal the reason you were instructed to fill your large baking pan with 1. inch high with water (BAIN~MARIE) is so that this concoction does not reach this level (185 F ) regardless that the oven heat is at 350 degrees. That is because water CANNOT go higher than 212, degrees at sea level so the custard is protected from reaching a high level.. Sooo, you must do these two things….you must increase the water level to 3/4 height of your custard cups with hot tap water & I think best you reduce the oven heat to 300 degrees where I bake my cheesecakes also in a BAIN~ MARIE

I must say Crystal I do not know why there is 1, cup of water in this recipe.

I hope you will be successful this time around. If you would like I have a prof or comm recipe you can try if this doesn’t work out for your taste buds.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 04 April 2014 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Even if u add more water in the water bath it will not affect taste as long the water will not go into the custard.

Posted: 04 April 2014 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-04-03

Prettycake:  Thank you so much. I would love to try the Flan you make.  Next time I go on my mission to make one, I will give it a try and let you know how I did.  Hopefully, I can do an okay job with making the Flan. 

Freshkid:  Thank you so much for your reply to my message.  It all makes sense.  I would love to try your recipe as well.  I usually get the basics down of baking something like Flan, and then I like to tweek it up some to make it my own.  Thank you again to the both of you for helping me understand what the cause could be.  With all of the information I have received from you both, I feel more comfortable with giving it another try and this time, use the advice that was given to me.

Thank you,
Crystal

Crystal Creative Ideas