pie crust
Posted: 08 April 2014 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-11-22

In my house we are trying to go organic however, using organic -unbleached flour has left me with a very tough crust. Is it possible to use organic flours and yield a tender crust?

Posted: 08 April 2014 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18
sarahsgarden - 08 April 2014 02:00 PM

In my house we are trying to go organic however, using organic -unbleached flour has left me with a very tough crust. Is it possible to use organic flours and yield a tender crust?

SARAHSGARDEN:
  Good afternoon. Sarah, KAF sells unbleached “CAKE FLOUR” It is much softer than the flour you are employing. You can try that

Sarah, I do not know whether or not it is ORGANIC. I would also check with them if they sell organic pastry flour as well.

I will list their TEL # for you. You can ask for a catalog if you like to.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day….... 1 855 371 BAKE   this is the bakers hotline. They have the answer for you.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 08 April 2014 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

You might try mixing your own organic pastry flour by diluting your strong organic unbleached flour with org cornstrarch.  Hard to say how much as I don’t know the protein content of your flour (or which flour you are using), but you start with something like 20% by weight.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 18 September 2014 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2014-08-28

I also use 20% by weight. And it gives me good results.

Signature 

Online cake Delivery