1. My cake has peaked in the middle and is cracked.
This happens when a/ there’s too much raising agent, b/ the cake tin’s too small or c/ the oven temperature is too high.
2. My cake has a gooey centre.
The cake hasn’t been cooked for long enough. When you check the cake before taking it out of the oven, a skewer should come out clean and the cake should feel the same in the middle as it does around the edges.
3. My cake is overcooked and thin but the texture is good.
This happens when the cake tin is too big.
4. My cake is flat and has large air bubbles on the top.
This could be because a/ the cake didn’t go into the oven as soon as the mixture was finished or b/ the oven wasn’t hot enough when the cake went in.
5. My cake has sunk in the middle.
There are three main reasons for this: a/ the oven door has been opened before the cake has set, b/ the cake didn’t go in the oven as soon as the mixture was ready or c/ there’s too much raising agent.