Sponge Cake broke
Posted: 13 April 2014 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-12-27

I have made the lemon chiffon cake for the fifth time with excellent results. This time my cake split while cooling upside down and fell out of the pan.
The cake was excellent. high fluffy good crumb. perhaps a little less brown on the side and bottom than previous times.  Help I don’t want this to happen again

Posted: 13 April 2014 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18
rthalmann - 13 April 2014 06:46 AM

I have made the lemon chiffon cake for the fifth time with excellent results. This time my cake split while cooling upside down and fell out of the pan.
The cake was excellent. high fluffy good crumb. perhaps a little less brown on the side and bottom than previous times.  Help I don’t want this to happen again

RTHMANN:
Good morning. Sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. I can render a suggestion to you.
It is based only on your description of the cake. If it was less brown in various places…it would denote the cake was not done.
I would make certain your oven temp is accurate using a oven therm.

If it is accurate Place your index finger at the side pull the side of the cake gently. If after you let go it springs back & your finger isn’t smudged the cake ready.

I will mention to you as a reminder, when using a bundt or a tube pan it is best not to place it in a sheet pan. Place directly on the oven grate.

You can also perform the tooth pick test as well.

Good luck to you & if you wish you can post your results to us.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 14 April 2014 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I agree with temperature…I’ve found internal temperatures above 203 F have worked to keep my sponges/angels in the pan upon inversion.  The actual temperature threshold may be lower than 203F—that’s just the temperature that I’ve had success with.

Posted: 16 April 2014 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, it’s so helpful to know the temp that works for you as this problem has plagued many from time to time (myself included).  Thanks!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert