Using liquid, home-made yeast
Posted: 14 April 2014 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-08-28

So I’ve thoroughly climbed back into bread making after finally treating myself to the Bread Bible *happy dance*

However, I want to start experimenting with making my own yeast from potatoes, etc. for the bread. I’ve found lovely recipes for this, and apparently you can use about 1 cup of the liquid per large bread. My question now is, how do you utilize this in a bread recipe without making the dough to runny? Because you effectively have 1 cup of fluid extra. I know normally someone would suggest that I just use the liquid amount that would normally be water with the milk powder, but I’m not a fan of milk powder. So assuming I use scalded milk, can I still use liquid yeast? Or is it an either or situation?

Posted: 14 April 2014 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

What is wrong with regular yeast ? Do some experiment and see what happens . only way to know. Good luck.

Posted: 14 April 2014 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27
lilianblythe - 14 April 2014 01:51 AM

So assuming I use scalded milk, can I still use liquid yeast? Or is it an either or situation?

I suppose you could use milk to cook the potatoes; otherwise, your parameters have backed you into a corner on this. I use powdered milk, but I order it from King Arthur, and the powder is specifically targeted towards baking, unlike what you find in most supermarkets.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 April 2014 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-08-28

Prettycake - there’s nothing wrong with it. I just wanted to try something else smile

CharlesT - yeah that’s what I was afraid of. Ah well, I’ll have to try and see!

Posted: 16 April 2014 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m with Charles, I can’t think of a way to get a substantial amount of extra liquid into a recipe.  If you’re making sandwich bread you can try using the milk and a little of the flour to make a roux, but that can’t be too large or your structure will not be strong enough. 

Hope you enjoy your yeast water baking!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

‹‹ Decisions      Ankarsrum ››