Need ideas for birthday cake
Posted: 15 April 2014 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

I just did a vanilla cake with Lemon buttercream last weekend.  And, I have another to do for my Aunt’s 80th bday this coming weekend.  I have an uncle celebrating a 91 birthday this weekend also. 

Uncle likes plain cake.  I really do not want to do a pound cake tho’ - of course, I may not have a choice but to do pound cake or vanilla cake. 

Since this is another family cake (out of my pocket) I would love a semi-new experience.  I was thinking of a layered cake with no outside frosting. 

Have you any ideas? 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 April 2014 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Renee!

Maybe one of Rose’s bundt cakes would be yummy—maybe there’s one you’ve been wanting to make (like the one with pears), but they never seem birthday-fancy (for most folks), but would be perfect for your uncle, who likes plain cake?  I realize the one with pears isn’t totally plain, but it’s pretty plain, and I hear it’s really good!

Another thought is the Domingo (or another cake of Rose’s that she says doesn’t really need frosting).  You could put a stencil shape on it (like a leaf or whatever), powdered sugar the top, and remove the stencil for a nice design.  I think this is done in the pic section of TCB with a maple leaf, if I’m not mistaken.

You could also make the plain cake—a single layer or a bundt or whatever—and surround it with orangettes (plain or dipped in chocolate)—they would add color, and they’re so delicious!

If you wanted to go a layer cake with filling only between the layers, you could go vanilla/vanilla, which you really don’t come across much.  I mean to make one this June, but I’ll probably end up going with cardamon—I can feel it—even though I’m dying to do vanilla/vanilla, because I never have.

You could also fill with lemon curd and blueberries, a’la the She Loves Me cake—not plain, but not super-rich, either.  If you feel like you’ve already lemoned, you could do a different curd and fruit.

I’ll bet your uncle likes strawberry short cake—all the old codgers do (and why not).  Maybe make a plain cake and make some mascerated strawberries (and whipped cream, if you want) to serve with it?

Anyway, hope that’s helpful!!

—ak

Posted: 16 April 2014 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25
CRenee - 15 April 2014 04:22 PM

I just did a vanilla cake with Lemon buttercream last weekend.  And, I have another to do for my Aunt’s 80th bday this coming weekend.  I have an uncle celebrating a 91 birthday this weekend also. 

Uncle likes plain cake.  I really do not want to do a pound cake tho’ - of course, I may not have a choice but to do pound cake or vanilla cake. 

Since this is another family cake (out of my pocket) I would love a semi-new experience.  I was thinking of a layered cake with no outside frosting. 

Have you any ideas? 

I’d be interested in knowing what you decide. I just baked a very plain white cake without frosting since most everyone I know prefers it that way, but I truly believe a light strawberry-flavored frosting would have been ideal. smile   

Posted: 16 April 2014 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Anne, for all of the wonderful ideas.  And, yes, Abbey, Strawberry does sound kind of good….  Oddly enough I am considering a rum cake from Maida Heatter….but I will evaluate Anne’s suggestions first. 

and I will let you know what I do

Signature 

Posted: 16 April 2014 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Oooh, Sherrie, if you’re in the market for non-Rose cakes, and in the market for plain Bundt cakes, the Baked guys are bundt-heads and have lots of them in their 3 books.  Here’s their post on making Shauna Server’s Twinkie Cake (from Pure Vanilla), if you think he’d be interested there, including a link to making homemade marshmallow fluff:  http://bakingsociety.com/2012/10/26/haunted-by-the-twinkie-cake/

Sounds kind of like fun and sort of plain-ish, kind of maybe, anyway…

Posted: 16 April 2014 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

How about the sour cream butter cake or its cousin, the golden almond cake as a torted layer cake with bare sides.  Fill and top with stabilized whipped cream and fruit. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 16 April 2014 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 16 April 2014 02:07 PM

Oooh, Sherrie, if you’re in the market for non-Rose cakes, and in the market for plain Bundt cakes, the Baked guys are bundt-heads and have lots of them in their 3 books.  Here’s their post on making Shauna Server’s Twinkie Cake (from Pure Vanilla), if you think he’d be interested there, including a link to making homemade marshmallow fluff:  http://bakingsociety.com/2012/10/26/haunted-by-the-twinkie-cake/

Sounds kind of like fun and sort of plain-ish, kind of maybe, anyway…

I will keep these guys in mind for the future

Signature 

Posted: 16 April 2014 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 16 April 2014 05:16 PM

How about the sour cream butter cake or its cousin, the golden almond cake as a torted layer cake with bare sides.  Fill and top with stabilized whipped cream and fruit. smile

I just love the golden almond cake!!  Love, love, love!!  So perhaps I should consider the sour cream butter cake…that would be new

Signature