Black Forest Dessert - too much, too little?
Posted: 17 April 2014 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-08-28

I’m planning a special dessert for Easter weekend. So far I’ve made a dark chocolate ice cream, and I am planning on making a nice thick black cherry sauce (served lukewarm) and some whipped cream flavoured with Kirsch. Would adding a base like a slice of dark chocolate cake be going overboard? Are the top 3 components enough?

Posted: 17 April 2014 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2007-11-27

I’d definitely add the cake!  It will help any melted bits of ice cream and syrup last a little longer for your guests wink!  Think of it as the bread that allows you to enjoy the last of a wonderful sauce on your plate smile It doesn’t have to be a big piece, maybe even just a rectangle that helps you prop up the ice cream and gives you a way to plate your dessert as they would in a fine dining restaurant.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 19 April 2014 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  748
Joined  2012-01-12

It is never too much. Put as much as u want. If one is diabetic, oh well, then they do not have to eat it. smile sounds like a very fabulous dessert. Go for it.

Posted: 20 April 2014 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-08-28

I couldn’t get you guys a photo - it was eaten up too fast raspberry

I ended up making a dark chocolate cookie crumb from scratch. So I served the ice cream with the warm cherry sauce, and put a dollop of stiff cream on the sauce and a sprinkling of cookie crumb over the ice cream. BIG hit :D