store bought fruitcake
Posted: 05 December 2008 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-12-05

Hello
I have an unusual question.  Starting 15 years ago my friend and I would buy a inexpensive, terrible tasting fruitcake once a year and eat it during the Christmas season.  The texture was very fine, lots of citrus, it came in a small loaf.  It was very inexpensive and cost maybe a dollar or two.  These last few years I have been buying an expensive little fruitcake from the bakery.  It tastes really good because it has fresh nuts, dates and some fruit but it just isn’t the same.  It has hardly any dough to it.  Does anyone know how they made those cheap, terrible tasting fruitcakes that we could buy at the drugstore or gas station?  We really miss our tradition.
Miss Kitty

Posted: 05 December 2008 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-05

FreshKid,
Thanks for reply. 
The one you are baking Sunday has a little more fruit and nuts than amount of the flour, right?  The one that you mentioned up to 750% has a lot more fruit and nuts than flour? 
Actually,  thinking about it, I think we have been buying these mostly nut and fruit, little dough, fruitcakes for maybe 5 years and the ones we had been traditionally eating, kind of bad tasting, fruitcake many years before that.
Kept looking on the internet this morning and found a recipe that called for crushed vanilla wafer cookies, candied pineapple, red and green cherries, (I substituted the citron for them because that was more like the old time taste) and pecans.  Mix with 14 oz sweetened condensed milk and 4 T bourbon. (I substituted apricot juice).  Put in fridge for 3 weeks.
I am going to try baking my three little loaves at 250 and see how they turn out. 
What is it that the syrup does?  Keep it moist?  I see in some recipes they say to drizzle with bourbon.  I was going to just use the apricot juice but maybe the syrup would work better.
How long do you have to let your fruitcake age before you can eat it?  Some say a month or more.  I was hoping to try it sooner.
Thanks again for answering.
MissKitty

Posted: 05 December 2008 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-05

I guess it was just the tradition we had of several times during one month out of the year between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I would go over to her house and we would eat this fruitcake and drink tea.  It was a very small fruitcake and it took several visits to finish it because it had such a strong taste.  I think a lot of it was strong citron flavor.  Maybe it had some kind of liquor taste, but I wouldn’t think they would be able to sell that at a drugstore or gas station.
I finished baking my three loaves
today.  They do have the consistency of the old fruitcake, but they don’t quite taste the same.  Actually, they taste pretty good.  Maybe a little too sweet.  I poked holes in them and poured in a mixture of syrup, apricot juice, and wrapped them in saran wrap.  Don’t know how long I can wait to have a slice.