Be on time!!! 
Posted: 20 April 2014 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Aunt Delores celebrated her 80th Birthday yesterday with a whole lot of family.  Many love the cake.  I joke I should have taken a photo of all the folks taking a photo of the cake.  But you gotta be on time.  This was a surprise party….I carried the cake in 4 parts - the three tiers and the flowers all separate.  So my sister and I rushed to put all of the flowers on the cake.  My sister had insisted on taking everything that look like a flower from my kitchen.  Now, it does appear that we threw them on… (we practically did).  As Aunt Delores was on her way and we had to get out of the way to hide and yell surprise.  The event was an hour and forty minutes from my house.  It was great to see so much family!! 

However, I am still proud…I am making significant progress on the bucket list item.  All of these flowers are first time for me… except for the rose.  And, I think that is the one that requires more practice than anything.  I never even finished the cabbage rose - but there it is.  Two I think.  I did not dust or glaze. 

My cousin insisted on a flower pot.  Aunt D is an avid gardener.  And, she looks just like my grandmother (the one in my avatar). 

I used Nicholas Lodge scratch gumpaste recipe and made the fondant from Veena’s Art of Cakes fondahnt recipe.  it rolled perfectly.  I get to keep my motto - totally from scratch.  The cake is Beyond Buttercream.  A yellow cake with buttermilk and sour cream.  Lemon Curd and Lemon buttercream filling and vanilla IMBC.

Image Attachments
flowercake3.jpgflowercake.jpgflowercake5.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 April 2014 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi CRenee—That is a beautiful cake!! The lavender color is so pretty and the flowers are perfect. You should be proud and it sounds like your family was thrilled. I’d love to see a picture of them taking pictures. smile

Congratulations on a very good job.

I will have to find that recipe for the Beyond Buttercream. It sounds beyond delicious. wink

Abbey

Posted: 20 April 2014 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee, that is one beautiful cake! I would have been among the many trying to get a photo! The cake sounds delicious - I’m curious about the beyond buttercream recipe myself - but it’s the flowers that have my attention…..gorgeous!

Posted: 21 April 2014 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Does your Aunt Delores know that you’re telling the entire internet how old she is? She’d box your ears. (whatever that means)

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 April 2014 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 21 April 2014 01:13 AM

Does your Aunt Delores know that you’re telling the entire internet how old she is? She’d box your ears. (whatever that means)

Not only here but all over Facebook.  Her grandson posted a photo of her wearing a silly birthday hat. 

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Wowie wow wow, you pulled off a wonderful cake!  I’d like to help with any leftovers… smile

Your gumpaste flowers are beautiful, you’re learning some real skills. 

Love that you made it all work on a timetable, that can be so much more difficult than when the pace is more relaxed.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 23 April 2014 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

thank you Julie,  I am pleased with my progress on learning the gum paste flowers.  i look forward to learning to dust and glaze.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2014 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Fabulous job, CRenee!  I cannot believe you made all of those beautiful flowers!  They are so beautiful!  I love the ones that look like peonies, especially.  Congratulations!

Posted: 25 April 2014 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2009-07-31

Beautiful! It makes one happy just by seeing it.

Posted: 27 April 2014 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Anne, Thank you Silvia

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2014 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

OMGoodness! How beautiful! It looks more real than it does a cake. You are truly amazing CRenee.

Happy Birthday Aunt Delores!

Posted: 29 April 2014 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 29 April 2014 11:37 AM

OMGoodness! How beautiful! It looks more real than it does a cake. You are truly amazing CRenee.

Happy Birthday Aunt Delores!

I knew when I saw this notice in email that it was your Flour Girl.  You are always so kind.  Thank you!!

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2014 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Renee,
Am very glad u are getting into making flowers. Luster dust will give them “life” and a more realistic look. These are beautiful already. I love petal and,luster dust. It makes everything stand out. Nice.

Do u have a cake designer who makes flowers that u admire ? I like Nicholas Lodge, Ron Ben Israel and Sylvia Weinstock. Their work is impeccable. Beautiful flowers, real or not makes cake a lot more beautiful. Taste is second. If u can do both , then that is great. Personally I never say decorated cakes do not taste great while undecorated cakes taste better because not all plain cakes taste great either. It is plain narrow mindedness and ignorance to even assume that. Nicely decorated cakes esp as a birthday cake or wedding will make it more special and makes the celebrant even feel more special too. Right for the occasion. Very appropriate. Very nice.

Posted: 29 April 2014 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 29 April 2014 09:19 PM

Renee,
Am very glad u are getting into making flowers. Luster dust will give them “life” and more realistic looking. These are beautiful already. I love petal and,luster dust. It makes everything stand out. Nice.

Do u have a cake designer that makes flowers that u admire ? I like Nicholas Lodge, Ron Ben Israel and Sylvia Weinstock. Their work is impeccable. Beautiful flowers, real or not makes cake a lot more beautiful. Taste is second. If u can do both , then that is great. Personally I never say decorated cakes do not taste great, and undecorated taste better because not all plain cakes taste great either. That is plain narrow mindedness and ignorance. Nicely decorated cakes esp as a birthday cake or wedding will make it more special and makes the celebrant even feel more special too. Right for the occasion. Very appropriate.

I knew when I read the email.  this is pretty cake.  Gumpaste flowers are on my bucket list (an old thread on here) Yes, I know I did not get an chance to dust the flowers or even make any foliage.  While I did get notice on 4/4 for a cake needed on 4/19….I am a self-(video) learning and work full time as a Project Manager.  So, I do have it on my list to practice more and dust as well.  But I have determined to make flowers just using the cutters I have. 

I like Nicholas Lodge - I have signed up for all of his classes on Craftsy.  I also have classes from Maggie Austin - her flowers are just fabulous and were put on display for the White House Christmas along side some real flowers of the same type.  You could not tell the difference.  As much as everyone thought the cake was pretty, I was and remain concerned that they also found it delicious.  Delicious is mu first priority.  That said, I know folks want it to look pretty…therefore the practice, practice, practice.  Jacqueline Butler is also good with filler flowers and such.  Ron Ben Israel is so perfect and fancy. 

I like Erin Gardner’s method of teaching as well.  It is interesting how each of the instructor’s teach how to make flowers.  Some of the same flowers - different methods. 

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2014 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Each cake artists have their own style and touch. But some of them stands out more. What ever you are comfortable with is what u will do best. As for me b4 I eat and taste the cake I look at it first, then eat, and that is why I said looks first and then taste.