Maple Pecan Cake (TCB) and Golden Lemon Almond Cake (RHC)
Posted: 20 April 2014 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

It’s been a while since I posted anything here but I did some baking with Rose this weekend for Easter and thought I would share.

I usually make something with maple syrup in March to celebrate maple sugaring season here but it started very late this year so I was late as well! For the pecan cake, I used the recipe for the golden almond cake (TCB) and replaced the almonds with toasted pecans. The frosting was the neoclassic maple buttercream. I’ve always liked this cake because of its dense but moist crumb and the flavour of this version was very nice….the toasty pecan flavour was subtle but noticeable. And the buttercream was delicious! The best part for me was actually making it: those few minutes of boiling the maple syrup had my house smelling like a sugar shack! The garnish was sugared pecans (PPB).

I also made the Golden Lemon Almond Cake (RHC), my first time making the bundt version. It turned out beautifully and as with most of Rose’s recipes, it, as well as the maple pecan cake, was huge hit.

Image Attachments
maple_pecan_cake.jpgmaple_pecan_cake1.jpggolden_lemon_almond_cake.jpg

Posted: 21 April 2014 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Oh Sophia - that Maple Pecan sounds so delicious, I would not have thought of doing that.  And, I just love the Golden Almond Cake whether it is layer or bundt. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 April 2014 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

All look beautiful!

Posted: 21 April 2014 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Sophia,

I love the design on that bundt cake and the Golden Cake looks very nice too. I think that will be the next cake I conquer. smile

Posted: 21 April 2014 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee, I was really pleased with the way the maple-pecan cake turned out. Rose suggests pairing a vanilla cake with the maple buttercream but I’ve always liked the combination of nuts with maple flavour.

Jeannette, thank you very much. It helps when you start with good recipes that always turn out well!

Abbey, thank you. The design of the bundt is “chiffon” (nordic ware). I received it as a gift from one my daughters and I was really pleased that it looked so pretty but didn’t have all of the nooks and crannies that are so difficult to grease and clean properly that so many of the new intricate designs have! 
I think you’ll like the golden almond cake…it’s quite rich but its texture allows for cutting very thin slices (to feed a crowd).

Posted: 21 April 2014 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Abbey, thank you. The design of the bundt is “chiffon” (nordic ware). I received it as a gift from one my daughters and I was really pleased that it looked so pretty but didn’t have all of the nooks and crannies that are so difficult to grease and clean properly that so many of the new intricate designs have! 
I think you’ll like the golden almond cake…it’s quite rich but its texture allows for cutting very thin slices (to feed a crowd).

Sophia, I will keep my eyes open for that bundt pan, thank you! Your daughter has good taste! smile

I know exactly what you are saying, since I baked the golden butter cake last night and definitely noticed that firm texture. When I put the batter into the pan, I had to scoop it into the pan. I was worried until I saw it baked.

Natural Grocer’s offered a free bag of almonds and I bought some lemon oil, so I’m set to try the golden almond cake.

Here is a pic of the golden butter cake, right out of the oven. I think it was cooked just a smidgen too long. It wasn’t dried out but…

Image Attachments
cakeryeot.jpg

Posted: 21 April 2014 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Abbey, I’ve never tried the golden butter cake recipe and looking at it, I’m not sure why….it looks like a very nice vanilla cake. Syruping it might help if it’s a little on the dry side but I’ve found that fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream do wonders as well wink

A free bag of almonds! What a great deal! Have fun making the golden almond cake….it’s really delicious.

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

HI Sophia,

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the strawberry idea a lot and will work on that.

A pound of almonds and healthy ones at that - I was impressed. I like that place more and more.

I will have fun and thanks for your help. smile

Posted: 22 April 2014 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Your cakes are beautiful!  Your maple cake frosting—evenness and all—is amazing.  The cake is just lovely, and maple is, I think, my favorite thing in the world!

Posted: 22 April 2014 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you very much, Anne. You’re not alone in liking maple….the cake was a big hit.

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Sophia, those look perfect and sound absolutely delicious!  Love love love the golden lemon almond cake, I make it more often than any other single recipe from Rose (it passed the bittersweet cocoa almond genoise, which had been my previous fave).  And the pecan maple sounds like a great variation, I also live in a maple sugaring area and enjoy the fragrance of sugaring smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 23 April 2014 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, Julie. I forget just how much I like the golden lemon almond cake until I make it again, and then I wonder why I don’t make it more often. Everyone seems to really enjoy it.