Why are these cupcakes tough and dense?
Posted: 22 April 2014 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-04-22

I want to make rum cupcakes for this weekend, but the last time I made them, they tasted great, but were really tough and dense. Following is the recipe I used, and I followed directions exactly. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Also, I made the icing, and some people thought it was too sweet. I liked it, but is there any way to make it less sweet? I guess the obvious answer would be to cut the sugar, but then wouldn’t the icing be runny? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour (I used all purpose)
2 tbsp baking powder
Dash of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup cream rum
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg whites

Set oven to 350. Beat sugar and butter together until fluffy.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon (I sifted them together)
In a measuring cup, mix cream rum and vanilla.
Alternating, add the flour mixture and rum mix to the butter and sugar. Start and end with the flour mixture.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
Fold egg whites into batter.
Bake for 20 minutes.

Icing - 8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 pound confectioners sugar

Posted: 22 April 2014 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-04-22

Darn it. I’m new here, and posted this to the wrong board. But now it won’t let me post it again to the cake board. Sorry.

Posted: 19 May 2014 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2010-01-18

I have found the longer I bake the more I don’t waste effort and $$ on questionable recipes. It’s just toooo frustrating! Best to stick with Rose’s - or Canadian Living’s. (see the post on Buttermilk white cake). This one looks like a recipe for failure - way too high in sugar and over-leavened! Looks s
imilar to the Old Fashioned 1-2-3-4 cake (1 c butter, 2 c sugar, 3 c flour & 4 eggs). Sorry - but a real waste of good Cream Rum :( You might try Shirley Corriher’s Serious Rum Cake (If you do let me know if it worked out - I haven’t had success with her recipes!). The best trustworthy standby is good old box mix Bacardi Rum Cake (Rose - please recreate this divine concoction from scratch for us!?).