Why are these cupcakes tough and dense?
Posted: 22 April 2014 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-04-22

I want to make rum cupcakes for this weekend, but the last time I made them, they tasted great, but were really tough and dense. Following is the recipe I used, and I followed directions exactly. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Also, I made the icing, and some people thought it was too sweet. I liked it, but is there any way to make it less sweet? I guess the obvious answer would be to cut the sugar, but then wouldn’t the icing be runny? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour (I used all purpose)
2 tbsp baking powder
Dash of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup cream rum
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg whites

Set oven to 350. Beat sugar and butter together until fluffy.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon (I sifted them together)
In a measuring cup, mix cream rum and vanilla.
Alternating, add the flour mixture and rum mix to the butter and sugar. Start and end with the flour mixture.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
Fold egg whites into batter.
Bake for 20 minutes.

Icing - 8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 pound confectioners sugar

Posted: 22 April 2014 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-04-22

Darn it. I’m new here, and posted this to the wrong board. But now it won’t let me post it again to the cake board. Sorry.

Posted: 22 April 2014 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1358
Joined  2008-09-27

Toughness is usually the result of overmixing after you add the flour. How did you incorporate the egg whites into the batter?

As for denseness: with that much baking powder and the beaten egg whites, that’s surprising. It might be that the cupcakes were overleavened…the cakes rise, then fall, leaving a dense product. Did you watch them in the oven?

To reduce sweetness, I would think you could reduce the sugar….cream cheese is pretty stiff, as is butter at room temp.

Where did the recipe come from?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 23 April 2014 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Two tbsp baking powder is too much. Did you transcribe the recipe correctly?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 19 May 2014 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2010-01-18

I have found the longer I bake the more I don’t waste effort and $$ on questionable recipes. It’s just toooo frustrating! Best to stick with Rose’s - or Canadian Living’s. (see the post on Buttermilk white cake). This one looks like a recipe for failure - way too high in sugar and over-leavened! Looks s
imilar to the Old Fashioned 1-2-3-4 cake (1 c butter, 2 c sugar, 3 c flour & 4 eggs). Sorry - but a real waste of good Cream Rum :( You might try Shirley Corriher’s Serious Rum Cake (If you do let me know if it worked out - I haven’t had success with her recipes!). The best trustworthy standby is good old box mix Bacardi Rum Cake (Rose - please recreate this divine concoction from scratch for us!?).