White Buttermilk cake
Posted: 02 May 2014 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

I have a recipe from Canadian Living for a very nice basic White cake, and I’d like to know if I could substitute all egg whites in it. I love Rose’s White Velvet Butter Cake, but I prefer the crumb of a “leaner” cake using A/P flour for kids’ Bdays and Cupcakes. (I have the feeling the high fat and sugar content of RLB’s recipes is what causes my problems with cupcakes separating from the cases ARGH!) The ingreds for the CL recipe are:
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) butter
2-1/4 cups (550 mL) granulated sugar
3 eggs, separated
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
3-1/2 cups (875 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2-1/4 cups (550 mL) buttermilk
They make it using the butter method, separating the eggs and adding the stiffly beaten whites last. Perhaps some of you experts out there could tell me if whites alone would work or if the lack of yolks would have to be compensated somehow. I have a glut of whites just now. Thanks!

Posted: 06 May 2014 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks interesting.  I haven’t tested it, but would expect no real problems with the substitution.  Basically, you would sub unbeaten whites for the yolks at a ratio of more than 1 (off the top of my head I’m not sure of the exact correct ratio).  That would give you more liquid, less fat, less emulsification and more structure.  I would expect the cake to be a little less fine crumbed and a tad drier. 

Please report back if you do try the substitution smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 06 May 2014 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18
kuchenbaaker - 02 May 2014 04:23 PM

I have a recipe from Canadian Living for a very nice basic White cake, and I’d like to know if I could substitute all egg whites in it. I love Rose’s White Velvet Butter Cake, but I prefer the crumb of a “leaner” cake using A/P flour for kids’ Bdays and Cupcakes. (I have the feeling the high fat and sugar content of RLB’s recipes is what causes my problems with cupcakes separating from the cases ARGH!) The ingreds for the CL recipe are:
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) butter
2-1/4 cups (550 mL) granulated sugar
3 eggs, separated
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
3-1/2 cups (875 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2-1/4 cups (550 mL) buttermilk
They make it using the butter method, separating the eggs and adding the stiffly beaten whites last. Perhaps some of you experts out there could tell me if whites alone would work or if the lack of yolks would have to be compensated somehow. I have a glut of whites just now. Thanks!

KUCHENBAAKER:
  Good morning. Yes, you can modify this recipe for employing egg whites. You must use 8 whites with cream of tarter. & whipped to just under stiff peaks whites…not stiff just under what I call FIRM peaks. You need to reduce the buttermilk to 1,25, cups & in so doing reduce the baking soda to 1/2, tsp MAX.  I would consider using BLEACHED AP flour in this instance.

Remember in whipping whites use tarter or lemon juice & part of the sugar… blend in at the end of mixing with a spatula about 1/4th or 1/3rd till blended in & the balance in till no whites are showing. Quickly into the oven.

Good luck & let us know how well you have done.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 06 May 2014 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

Thanks for the help - I will definitely try this out - although 8 whites seems like an awful lot to sub for 3 whole eggs. I would also be inclined to use some of the sugar quantity in the beaten whites (more like a traditional meringue) to stabilize them and prevent loss of volume when folding in. In Canada we don’t have bleached vs unbleached A/P flour - I think it’s all unbleached. So I will likely sub a couple Tbsp cornstarch to lower the gluten percentage a bit. Our flour is very “strong”, and I have found this gives a nice fluffy texture but not “melt in the mouth” as with all Cake Flour. (which is 4x the cost and crumbles too much for children to eat without a mess!). I just did Joanne Chang’s Midnight Chocolate Cake this time - also subbing the A/P flour & cornstarch and it turned out just great! And they didn’t pull away from the baking cups - hurrah!!! Will post again when I try your suggestion!