sorry not cake..
Posted: 04 May 2014 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

I figured how not to make my cookies NOT flat and greasy…
Made these today:  butterscotch and chocolate chips cookies..

Image Attachments
P1030212.JPGP1030213.JPG

Posted: 04 May 2014 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2011-12-25

I’m game. Shortening - no butter? { :-}

Looks like a perfect cookie to me, prettycake. 

Posted: 04 May 2014 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
abbey - 04 May 2014 09:28 AM

I’m game. Shortening - no butter? { :-}

Looks like a perfect cookie to me, prettycake. 

Thanks , Abbey
Actually I never use shortening. I let the unsalted butter get soft at room temp and after I mix the cookie dough, I do not bake them right away. I let it sit and wait for about close to an hour at room temp. I wait for all the ingredients to “react” to each other. In the past I take the butter out of the fridge and stick it in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes to soften and when done mixing I bake them asap. To me it is how I handled the butter.

I’m sure most people have their baking tricks and this is one of mine. Very simple but good results.
Thanks again

Posted: 04 May 2014 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Sorry it took me so long to reply-we are having beautiful weather!! smile

Very interesting. I don’t use shortening either so I was happy to hear you used butter. I will remember that and thanks for sharing.

And you are welcome. wink

Posted: 05 May 2014 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27

Seems that everyone agrees that 36 hours is the optimal resting time for chocolate chip cookie batter. In the fridge, of course. I guess the same would go for almost any cookie batter.

An option to letting the butter sit for an hour to come to the proper temperature is just to throw it in the bowl cold. It will take a few extra minutes of beating,  but it will eventually come up to temperature and cream beautifully.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 May 2014 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
CharlesT - 05 May 2014 10:38 AM

Seems that everyone agrees that 36 hours is the optimal resting time for chocolate chip cookie batter. In the fridge, of course. I guess the same would go for almost any cookie batter.

An option to letting the butter sit for an hour to come to the proper temperature is just to throw it in the bowl cold. It will take a few extra minutes of beating,  but it will eventually come up to temperature and cream beautifully.

Thanks Charles but I prefer to do it my way if that is OK with you. smile

Posted: 05 May 2014 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
abbey - 04 May 2014 06:47 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply-we are having beautiful weather!! smile

Very interesting. I don’t use shortening either so I was happy to hear you used butter. I will remember that and thanks for sharing.

And you are welcome. wink

Hi Abbey,
I have never used shortening so I am curious how the texture is..
U are welcome Abbey.. smile

Posted: 06 May 2014 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Seems that everyone agrees that 36 hours is the optimal resting time for chocolate chip cookie batter.

Yup. And not just choco chip, many other cookie doughs are better after the 3-day waiting period.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 06 May 2014 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Julie - 06 May 2014 07:31 AM

Seems that everyone agrees that 36 hours is the optimal resting time for chocolate chip cookie batter.

Yup. And not just choco chip, many other cookie doughs are better after the 3-day waiting period.  smile

That’s correct ! That is why each if not all cookie recipes printed in every book or site suggests that we wait three days before baking the cookie dough. Wow! I never knew that ‘til now. Thank u !

Posted: 06 May 2014 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

That’s all good stuff to know. I didn’t know or didn’t notice that part about leaving them sit for that long of time. It makes sense but I didn’t figure it with cookies - yes for pancake mix, waffles, cornbread but not cookies. What about cake? Do I remember reading that it isn’t good to let cake batter sit for too long. Hmmm. I’ll have to google that when I get home. Work is crazy scary busy. Thatsa goot.! Love reading this stuff. Gives me a nice break from the job.

Posted: 08 May 2014 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

When a cookie recipe says to preheat oven , make sure it is preheated for 36 hours too. smile smile

Posted: 08 May 2014 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-18
abbey - 06 May 2014 03:31 PM

That’s all good stuff to know. I didn’t know or didn’t notice that part about leaving them sit for that long of time. It makes sense but I didn’t figure it with cookies - yes for pancake mix, waffles, cornbread but not cookies. What about cake? Do I remember reading that it isn’t good to let cake batter sit for too long. Hmmm. I’ll have to google that when I get home. Work is crazy scary busy. Thatsa goot.! Love reading this stuff. Gives me a nice break from the job.

ABBEY:
  Good morning. I am not going to comment on the cookies. My comment to you is about the cake question you proposed in your posting.

The reason why we do not wait 36, hours before baking is that the “BAKING SODA” that is if the recipe contains it begins to dissapate the moment it hits any ingredient that is liquid. So it is best not to wait to long.

However my friend in baking it is optimum in cake baking to place the cake in the oven when the batter varies between 70 / 73 degrees.

I hope you find this information helpful to you.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.grin

Posted: 08 May 2014 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27
abbey - 06 May 2014 03:31 PM

but I didn’t figure it with cookies - yes for pancake mix, waffles, cornbread but not cookies. What about cake? Do I remember reading that it isn’t good to let cake batter sit for too long.

Remember, the cookies are in the fridge; cake batter is probably too thin to sit for too long.

The resting of the cookie dough was first reported in the New York Times in an article on CC Cookies. More than one famous baker recommended the practice, and I think the article tested the various lengths of time, determining that 36 hours was optimal. The same result has been verified by other reputable test bakers.

Edit: NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html?ref=dining

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 May 2014 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you Freshkid,

I find it very helpful. I did not know about the optimal temp for the batter, so that is good to know.

Thanks again, Dear Man!! Glad to see you back. I think you were having trouble with your password, yes? I hope you have a wonderful day and thanks a bunch for your advice.

CharlesT—

I enjoyed reading that article and learned plenty.

I usually make the oatmeal cookies with the toffee and chips, so with this method, and a little salt, I could make some really good buddies and sell them for the big bucks, esp right out of the oven. wink

You know, my Grandma always had cookie dough in her fridge. Now I know why they were the best I ever had.

Thanks for a very interesting article. I’m also learning a lot about how the different kinds of chocolate can be so important for producing the best flavors.

I should mix up a batch tonight so they will be ready to bake by Sunday night.

Posted: 09 May 2014 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Edit: NYT article:

Hi, CT!

Thanks for the article!

So, have you made these particular chocolate chip cookies?  What did you think?  This is not to challenge the method, but I have not yet found a choco chip recipe I am crazy about.  (But that might be because I’ve never let the dough rest, but I will in the future!)

Thanks!

—ak

‹‹ First Wedding Cake      past creations.. ››