Two tier cake question
Posted: 04 May 2014 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Hey guys,
I am doing a two tier cake (I’ve never done more than one layer!) cake. The bottom is 10x3 round, and the top will be 6x3 round.

My question is:
1) how much mousseline would I need to make to frost and decorate (just a border) on these two cakes?
2) how does one make a cake and then bring it somewhere? Would I just bring the two sep cakes frosted and then when I get to the party put them together and decorate?  I’m pretty sure I can assemble the whole cake at home and fit it in my fridge, but then do I just leave the cakes (with mousseline) put together and decorated in my fridge with nothing over it?  I was thinking that maybe the frosting would acquire some flavor from the fridge?  I never thought this would be so hard lol

Posted: 04 May 2014 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  722
Joined  2012-01-12
SweetNess14445 - 04 May 2014 03:42 PM

Hey guys,
I am doing a two tier cake (I’ve never done more than one layer!) cake. The bottom is 10x3 round, and the top will be 6x3 round.

My question is:
1) how much mousseline would I need to make to frost and decorate (just a border) on these two cakes?
2) how does one make a cake and then bring it somewhere? Would I just bring the two sep cakes frosted and then when I get to the party put them together and decorate?  I’m pretty sure I can assemble the whole cake at home and fit it in my fridge, but then do I just leave the cakes (with mousseline) put together and decorated in my fridge with nothing over it?  I was thinking that maybe the frosting would acquire some flavor from the fridge?  I never thought this would be so hard lol

Transport them in separate moving boxes or Rubber Maid storage bins with the bottom lined with brand new rug liner. For the bottom support, use those white plastic tubes (maybe five) that Wilton’s use, cut to the same exact height of the cake with all the icing on it. Place your topper or decorations at the venue but do as much decorating at home. As for the amount of the icing, that totally depends how much filling and decorating u need. Better to have more than enough.good luck. Wedding cakes are a lot of work. They don’t sound really large cakes, so refrigerating them is ok. Maybe put a box of Baking Soda in your fridge like a couple of days prior.

Posted: 04 May 2014 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Sweetness,

I have always transported my cakes assembled because I always want to have enough time for decoration and assembly without feeling rushed. 
1.  If you have TCB there is a master chart for frosting quantities.  It will depend on if you have layers to be filled, etc.  ALWAYS make more than needed - it can be frozen with no issue. 
2.  To stack the cake I use bubble tea straws.  Agreed with prettycake, about 4 or 5.  If assembling prior, you can also pound a wooden dowel through both cakes.  I usually sharpen it with a pencil sharpener and I also make a hole in the centre of the smaller cake board so I don’t stress the cake board.  Make it about the size of a quarter??  The dowel should be shorter than the height of both cakes.  You will need to fill and smooth the hole after.  I have also done this the “reverse way”—where I set the top cake over the dowel so the surface isn’t marred.  In this case, I make the hole in the board a little bit bigger. 

I usually clear out my fridge and find a clear storage bin that will fit the entire assembled cake with display board/platter.  I assume you will place the cake on a display board/platter—basically something strong that the cake will be displayed on.  I attach the cake to it with some frosting (basically put some frosting on the platter, place the larger tier on this 1st, then do the straws and add second tier and then the decorating/edges/borders).  I use the lid of the container as the bottom and set foamy shelf liner on it to prevent slipping.  I set the completed cake on the lid and then place the container over the cake.  I do this because it is much easier to lift off the container than it is to pull the cake out of the container and the container is usually wider at the top (which is near the bottom of the cake when the container is inverted).  BUT you mush be careful to ALWAYS pick up from the bottom—so don’t allow anyone else to pick up your container—put a sign on it if you must!  Also, I use a clear container because I can see the cake when the lid removed/installed and because they usually don’t have the odor that some colored plastics have.

I would recommend refrigeration WITH a container.  Otherwise, the cake could be subject to:  a) odour, b) debris/dusties/fingers/etc. that may inadvertently touch the cake, c) possibly drying the cake, d) condensation.  If you pull the cake uncovered from the fridge, condensation will take place immediately—as the warm, humid air condenses on the cold cake.  If you remove the cake in a sealed container, the warm humid air can’t condense on the cake.  There is often a small amount of condensation even when the cake is covered, but it will be less than if you remove the cake straight from the fridge, uncovered.  I have had nasty condensation issues…so I can attest to this!!

Good luck! Wedding cakes can be so much fun, but they are also stressful! Can’t wait to see your results.

Posted: 05 May 2014 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

ok so what kind of container do you use? do you have a picture Sherrie?

Posted: 05 May 2014 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Here’s a link to a photo of my set up.  I sometimes put silica gel in a container with the cake to prevent condensation.  I ensure the container is attached firmly to the base and secure a cloth over the silica gel with elastics. 

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php?ACT=25&fid=7&aid=1835_wyrWYYe59EqBixSrTY9D&board_id=1

Posted: 05 May 2014 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

thats what i need~! WHere would i get something like that??

Posted: 05 May 2014 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

thats just a tote, right?? Like the kind they sell at wal mart lol

Posted: 05 May 2014 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Sweetness,

Yes!! Nothing special about it—Walmart or any store that sells that kind of stuff.  I have to look around for the right dimensions sometimes.  I like the clear ones for the reasons mentioned above.  I rearrange my fridge so I can fit the tote inside…but before you buy a tote, measure the inside of your fridge to see how big of a tote you can fit inside.  Also, if you have the bottom board or platter, measure that to see how big your tote needs to be.  Then determine how tall you want it.  Take a tape measure with you so you can see how wide a bin is at the base vs. top. I have stored a 3 tier wedding cake in that tote—it’s quite tall and there’s not much room in the fridge when I use that tote!! 

I usually wash it out a day or two before so it can dry.

Posted: 08 May 2014 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i got one, although its smaller than i wanted (height wise) but i think it will work since this cake is small. great idea!

Posted: 08 May 2014 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Excellent!  I hope it works for you.

‹‹ White Buttermilk cake      Ganache Question ››