2 of 2
Sourdough anyone?
Posted: 09 January 2008 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-12-22

Me again, with YET another question smile

Today I’m getting ready to start maturing my starter in the fridge.  In the Bread Bible it says to feed the starter, then let it sit for four hours at room temperature to almost double it, then feed it *again*, let it sit for one hour at room temp and then pop it in the fridge.

I’m now trying to figure out the quantities for feeding the starter during the maturation phase.  It sounds like if I pour off half for the initial feeding, then feed it, I’ll have approximately 120 gms of flour and 120 gms of water in there.  The second feeding would bring it up to 180 gms of flour and 180 gms of water.  If, after two days, I want to feed it, and I pour off half, would this mean that I would feed it with about 90 gms of flour and 90 gms of water?  Or am I getting too complicated, and should I just feed it the usual 60 gms of flour and 60 gms of water??

Thanks again!

Posted: 19 February 2008 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-03

I am very excited! I’ve been doing a lot of baking with my own sourdough culture.  Ups and downs have all been interesting.  I have now begun to formulate my own recipe.  It is a Buttermilk Cracked Wheat Sourdough.  It’s on its first rise now and smells FANTASTIC.  Can’t wait to see how it bakes up.  I’ll keep you all posted, and if it’s delicious I’ll share the recipe.

Cheers,

MC

2 of 2

Tasteless raisin bread ››