60th Anniversary Cake
Posted: 09 May 2014 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I made this for my grandparents, their 60th anniversary party. They had lilly of the valley as their flowers in their wedding so i put them on the cake. NO they arent edible they are fake lol.

This cake was a royal PIA.

its a white cake with raspberry,blueberry,boysenberry (yea i know) jam. Topped with Vanilla mousseline from RHC.

I may be crazy but the vanilla mousseline tasted exact to the mousseline with vanilla in TCB. Must be the same? Made differently though…

i think i just am not a fan of mousseline. I think it tastes like butter. I put the cake in the fridge after 1 coat and took itback out to re coat and it was like i was rubbing frosting on butter. Did i mess something up?  In the bowl it was soft and creamy (like mayonaise) and it tasted fine,but the fridge firmed it up SO MUCH. I hope that when i take it out and let it sit it softens a bit!?

Image Attachments
1.jpg2.jpg

Posted: 09 May 2014 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, SweetNess!

First, your cake is beautiful, and the flavors sound wonderful.

Second, the frosting will soften—like butter!—but give it a good 6 hours out of the fridge to come to room temp.  More than once I have gotten up at 3AM so a cake will be at room temp by 9AM!

I hope they love it!!!!!

—ak

Posted: 09 May 2014 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

The cake looks great.  As Anne said, you need to allow time for frosting to soften before serving….but it is easier to smooth etc. when firm.  Adding vanilla or vanilla infused liquor or some alcohol based flavor will cut the buttery taste.  And, yes, the mousseline with vanilla added and the vanilla mousseline are the same—prepared differently as you say.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 May 2014 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  921
Joined  2009-05-25

Sweetness, That is a fabulous cake!  Flavours are very appealing as well!  Congratulations to you (on this awesome cake) and your grandparents—a wonderful milestone to celebrate! 

If I recall, TCB meringue has slightly less sugar than RHC…I may be wrong but I think that may be the case. 

I have had issues when I’ve done a second coat on chilled butter cream.  It’s like the layer you are putting over the chilled crumb coat separates (comes out of emulsion).  I haven’t found a perfect work around as some cakes (due to filling, etc. need to be crumb coated/dammed) and others are easier to do in one go. 

I really, really like are Rose’s Silk Meringue Buttercreams—with the creme anglaise…they can be a little tricky to prepare in larger batches, but divine eating!  I am also on the fence about the Mouselline—there is so much to love, but sometimes I find it’s too buttery, as well; however, I really, really like the white chocolate variation.  The only thing I do different is to add the melted chocolate to a small bowl of the buttercream and whisk first, then I add to the rest.  Sometimes I would get small chocolate chunks if I didn’t do this first.  I also thinking a pastry cream version of a buttercream could be divine, just haven’t gotten to doing some tests!!

Posted: 11 May 2014 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks beautiful and sounds delicious!  You’re very kind to make them a special cake and to use flowers with personal meaning for them smile

re: mousseline, it’s better tasting with more “stuff” in it, for instance lemon curd, strawberry puree, or white chocolate.  I like the white chocolate version better than straight vanilla because the cocoa butter does something dreamy to the texture and helps it taste like more than just vanilla and butter.  Lindt or Green & Black’s white chocolate are great in buttercreams.  Also, it is meant to be used in thin layers, so if you applied one layer and then went back and applied a second layer, it may have been too much for such a rich frosting.

re: mousseline and re-working it, I’m not sure if your issue was that the cake was cold and you were trying to spread cold buttercream?  Once buttercream is on the cake, you can’t go back and re-work it.  Might be OK to just spread a new layer over the chilled layer before it warms.  Hot sugar syrup buttercreams turn spongy after they’ve been on the cake (or in the bowl) for a while, and once that happens you shouldn’t try to re-work or spread the frosting.  So there’s a window of opportunity to spread/work the frosting, then you have to leave it alone.  For the frosting in the bowl, once it turns spongy it needs to be re-beaten to restore the emulsion.

Not sure if that was what was causing your issue, but hopefully something there helped smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 18 May 2014 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Thanks everyone. I think next time I am going to try the white choc mousseline. I haven’t tried the silk mer yet but that looks like any other one I should try. Next year lol