Sponge cake too spongy??
Posted: 13 May 2014 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-05-13

I love sponge cake and after making the one from joyofbaking.com, my cake came out very light and perhaps too spongy that it’s hard to cut with a fork when eating. I’ve never had a cake so spongey. Anyone know why this happened?

Posted: 13 May 2014 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1369
Joined  2008-09-27

It would help if you would post a link to the recipe.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 May 2014 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-05-13

http://www.joyofbaking.com/AmericanSpongeCake.html

Posted: 14 May 2014 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2012-01-12

I watched the entire video. This is a good recipe. This is typical result. Do u like the taste ? Sponge cake is very similar to angel food. It kind of stretches and when cut since it is very soft, it is hard to get a sharp edge. A lot of air from the egg whites w/ little flour is what makes the spongey texture.

Posted: 16 May 2014 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4822
Joined  2008-04-16

Sponge cake can be dense (which makes it seem tough and rubbery) if there isn’t enough air in the eggs, either from underbeating or overfolding.  Or it can be tough if an overly strong (higher protein) flour was used.  If you don’t think it’s one of those two issues, you can try adding a little baking powder to lighten and tenderize.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II