Freezing Pie Crust
Posted: 17 May 2014 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1188
Joined  2009-11-24

Wow, this may be the first time I have posted in Pie and Pastry!!!  I would like to freeze the pie crust (in the pan) for a sweet potato pie.  Is that okay to do?  Should I put the filling in the frozen crust and put in the oven (without thawing crust)?  I know I can freeze an entire apple pie (which I will also be doing) but the custard nature of the sweet potato pie gives me pause. 

thank you for suggestions

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 18 May 2014 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-01-12
CRenee - 17 May 2014 08:24 PM

Wow, this may be the first time I have posted in Pie and Pastry!!!  I would like to freeze the pie crust (in the pan) for a sweet potato pie.  Is that okay to do?  Should I put the filling in the frozen crust and put in the oven (without thawing crust)?  I know I can freeze an entire apple pie (which I will also be doing) but the custard nature of the sweet potato pie gives me pause. 

thank you for suggestions

I made sweet potato pie last thanksgiving. There was no freezing involved. What would be the reason for freezing ? Treat this pie like u are making pumpkin pie. The texture is very similar. Even if your reason is because u need it for a future day, maybe make the pie filling, put it in a container, freeze, thaw then just pour it into the crust when ready to bake. I know the crust u can freeze for weeks, already shaped in the pie pan or pyrex.

Posted: 18 May 2014 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

So, can anyone tell me if I put my freshly made filling into a frozen crust and then straight into the oven.  Or should I not do this in the case of Sweet Potato Pie and jet go with freshly made crust?

Signature 

Posted: 19 May 2014 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-01-12

Either way will be fine, frozen or not. Sorry I replied.

Posted: 22 May 2014 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16
CRenee - 18 May 2014 02:34 PM

So, can anyone tell me if I put my freshly made filling into a frozen crust and then straight into the oven.  Or should I not do this in the case of Sweet Potato Pie and jet go with freshly made crust?

If it were me, I would thaw it in the refrigerator before adding the filling. Two reasons: first, I love a crisp crust, and a frozen crust with a non-frozen filling might slow down crust baking marginally.  Second reason is that I wouldn’t want to take a chance that any dairy in the custard would freeze near the cold crust.  Milk separates when frozen, and that could affect the texture of the custard near the crust.

Sounds like a nice pie, hope you’ll post a pic smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 22 May 2014 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 22 May 2014 08:14 AM
CRenee - 18 May 2014 02:34 PM

If it were me, I would thaw it in the refrigerator before adding the filling. Two reasons: first, I love a crisp crust, and a frozen crust with a non-frozen filling might slow down crust baking marginally.  Second reason is that I wouldn’t want to take a chance that any dairy in the custard would freeze near the cold crust.  Milk separates when frozen, and that could affect the texture of the custard near the crust.

Sounds like a nice pie, hope you’ll post a pic smile

thank you, Julie.  With that, I think I will prepare the crust, roll it out, freeze it, thaw in the refrigerator, and then put in pan.  I made this pie before but did not freeze the crust.  But I keep the poorest records.  I am going to search the forum to see if I reported in that post what I used. 

Signature 

‹‹ Algerian Baklawa      French Silk Pie Recipe ››