storage of flavorings and extracts
Posted: 22 May 2014 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-06-12

I had bought some vanilla extract from Costco. Stored in cupboard. It was starting to get some separation it seems and brown stuff on bottom, maybe from settling. I called them and they said yes, store in cupboard. I called because, they said it can keep for 5 mos and not go south - no do not refrigerate because it can cloud up.
If it’s like a listerine thing where it isn’t compromised by cold, then I wondered if storing it in fridge would help retain the potency. After all I only so much is used per recipe.

Of course, I can always buy the little bottles.

I did not think that I had that bottle in cabinet for more than 5 mos, so I was questioning their advice. And I never really thought about it until I noticed it looked that way.

Posted: 22 May 2014 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27

Vanilla keeps practically forever. Keep it in the cupboard.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 23 May 2014 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I agree with Charles, I always keep mine in the kitchen cupboard too.

Posted: 23 May 2014 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

If you prefer to store in the fridge, that’s OK, too, it won’t hurt it.  You just have to remember to shake it well before using as some of the flavor components separate out and settle on the bottom.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 23 May 2014 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-12-25

I always keep my in the fridge and do give it a good shake before using. It is nice to know it will be okay in the cupboard, because now I won’t worry if I forget to put it back in the fridge.