Converting Golden Almond Cake to 14 inch round
Posted: 27 May 2014 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-05-27

I need to make an almond cake and Rose’s recipe in the Cake Bible looks amazing. I have a 5qt kitchen aid and need to make 2 14inch round layers for my cake. Looking at the conversion charts i need to multiply the base recipe by 10 with baking powder level 3. This seems like a lot of baking powder compared to the recipe that calls for 1/2 tsp per base.

Also my kitchen aid is too small to make 10x the base recipe at once. Can i make 5x the recipe for each layer instead?

Thank you

Posted: 27 May 2014 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi tee33,  Welcome!  I haven’t looked at the recipe, but as I recall, I don’t think the almond cake is in the charts (or maybe it is).  There will be variations for every type of cake…so it may/may not work to apply the white cake formula to the almond cake.  I will look into it in more detail later.  Definitely only do one 14” cake at a time.  I found when I bake on 2 layers in my oven, the goods don’t turn out as nice—and, unless your oven is huge, you will only be doing 1 14” cake per level in your oven.  Also, that will be too much batter for the 5 qt.  Do it in 2 batches…it may take longer, but you will have the best chance for your cake turning out.  Also, if something is off, you won’t be wasting 2x the ingredients.

Posted: 27 May 2014 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Sherrie is correct, the chart in the cake bible does not indicate application for the golden almond.  Rose’s Heavenly cakes has this same cake in a wedding version (Golden Dream).  So, I would recommend comparing to the 12 inch layers in RHC.  Do you have Rose’s Heavenly Cakes?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 May 2014 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-05-27

Thank you for responding. The almond cake is not in the charts.
I do have RHC and have looked at the recipe. Would I just omit the lemon ingredients?
The Golden Almond recipe sounds perfect for my needs. I just don’t want to scale it up and ruin it.

Posted: 27 May 2014 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

My guess is, it works in 12 it should work in 14.  I have not pulled out my Cake Bible, so I did not realize the Golden Almond in TCB did not have lemon.  The Golden Dream is one of my fav Rose Cakes.  I cannot guesstimate the impact of eliminating the lemon would be.  Rose does have a note re: replacing the zest with lemon oil… 

You also may want to evaluate replacing the lemon syrup with a vanilla syrup or a vanilla almond or almond…. 

Personally, I think you wold be okay without the lemon ingredients…but I recommend a syrup. 

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2014 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-05-28

Hi! I know this forum focuses on Rose’s amazing work, and I’m devoted to her. That said, in case this is helpful:  in the book Baking With Julia there is a fantastic almond wedding cake recipe with lots of detailed information. Even if you didn’t want to use that recipe (which I followed to make a wedding cake) perhaps you would find it useful to consult.

Posted: 28 May 2014 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Lauren52 - 28 May 2014 08:18 AM

Hi! I know this forum focuses on Rose’s amazing work, and I’m devoted to her. That said, in case this is helpful:  in the book Baking With Julia there is a fantastic almond wedding cake recipe with lots of detailed information. Even if you didn’t want to use that recipe (which I followed to make a wedding cake) perhaps you would find it useful to consult.

Welcome to the forum, Lauren.  Baking with Julia is on my wish list…(like I need another cook or baking book)

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2014 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-05-27

Thank you! I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

Posted: 28 May 2014 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
tee33 - 28 May 2014 02:33 PM

Thank you! I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

How about trying a 6” version to see how you like it?  The Golden Dream gives you what you need for 6 + 9.  You can just subtract the 9” amount.

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2014 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-05-27

I tried several recipes and ended up using the Almond Walnut recipe from a different book (minus the walnuts). Worked perfectly.
Thank you for all the help. I noticed though that the baking time was short for the 14 inch cake. Not sure if this was supposed to be the case. But it was cooked through well and had a loveley texture.