2 of 2
Lemon Meringue Cake
Posted: 08 June 2014 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

My, oh my!! And Wow! That’s how I feel right now after just completing that Lemon Meringue Cake.

I made the lemon curd and the cakes yesterday, then the lemon syrup and meringue this afternoon. No problem with the curd and cakes. One cake was a little uneven so I balanced it up with the lemon curd.  The meringue made me nervous and I shoulda turned the AC on because it was meeelting. I just didn’t know what to expect but it turned out okay. I will know better next time. smile

It was fun, though a lot of work and now I get to clean the kitchen!!

I spent quite a bit of time looking for a torch…not the Dark side, Darth Vader type. HEEHEE!! I bought the Bernzomatic at Home Depot and only spent $24—I could live with that. Watched videos on how to use them so I was comfortable enough. It is the perfect size for what I need and Creme Brulee will be my next adventure.

I thought the cake was a little dry and did not scrape off the crust because when I pulled back the cling wrap, it pulled the top layer off. I did give them a good soaking with the syrup and really, it was okay. It was definitely lemony enough.

I will have to do that again!!!!

Thanks for your help, Julie. That was a lot of fun. 

Image Attachments
meringuecake.jpgmeringuelemon.jpg

Posted: 09 June 2014 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-01-12

Your cake look good inspite of some issues. Glad u found your torch, now u don’t have to brown the top the primitive way. Seriously, it look good. Next time it will be perfect esp now that u have a torch. Nice.

Posted: 09 June 2014 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

Your cake looks beautiful, Abbey! I would never have thought that you had problems with the meringue…it looks perfectly fluffy and golden!

I made this cake once a long time ago and it was a lot of work. I also remember thinking the cake was a little dry - I assumed it was something I’d done wrong - but the texture improved on the second day (redistribution of the syrup?)

Posted: 09 June 2014 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
prettycake - 09 June 2014 02:43 AM

Your cake look good inspite of some issues. Glad u found your torch, now u don’t have to brown the top the primitive way. Seriously, it look good. Next time it will be perfect esp now that u have a torch. Nice.

Thanks PrettyCake. I had fun with the torch esp after figuring out that I had to make slow sweeps to brown the meringue. I really do want to make this cake again and from what I learned, it should be much better. smile

Posted: 09 June 2014 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Sophia - 09 June 2014 08:01 AM

Your cake looks beautiful, Abbey! I would never have thought that you had problems with the meringue…it looks perfectly fluffy and golden!

I made this cake once a long time ago and it was a lot of work. I also remember thinking the cake was a little dry - I assumed it was something I’d done wrong - but the texture improved on the second day (redistribution of the syrup?)

Thank you Sophia. Thanks for telling me the cake was better the second day. I would agree with you about the redistribution of the syrup improving the texture. The cakes were already so thin that trimming them, like the recipe suggested, would have been a challenge. I did not use all of the syrup either. Really, it was pretty good.

The meringue for the cakes whipped up beautifully because the kitchen was cool on Saturday evening, but it was a bit warmer on Sunday and that is why I had to hurry. I had grand ideas for making beautiful designs in the meringue but was happy with it. Next Time!!

It was a lot of work but I like the way Rose helps you along the way and some of the procedures are a lot of fun, like dusting the flour on the egg mixture and then folding in the meringue. I used a balloon whisk and took my sweet time, making sure I didn’t over mix it. I catch myself thinking how beautiful the batter or the meringue looks. Fun stuff!

Thanks again Sophia. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. 

Abbey      

Posted: 12 June 2014 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-06-12

First time blog, sorry if I do this wrong.
Is this recipe in one of Rose’s books? I can’t seem to find it either of her ‘cake’ books.
Thank you,
HM

Posted: 12 June 2014 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello~~

It is in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes cookbook. You are perfectly fine and I hope you find it and enjoy it. Please share your work and Good luck!

If you have any questions, I would be happy to to help you, though I’ve only baked it once. 

Have fun. smile

Abbey

Posted: 12 June 2014 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-06-12

Abby,
Thanks! Page 205…I should have been more diligent in my search.  I thought it was somewhere in the thread, LOL.
Blessings,
HM

Posted: 13 June 2014 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

No problem, HM.

I was told by several people that it was their favorite cake now, and, like Sophia said, it was much better after the 1st day. The syrup really does get redistributed and the cake was perfect.

Now I have to decide what to make for this weekend. I see Rose has some cool recipes on the blog. I found some really interesting recipes in her cake cookbooks last night so, I’ll sit down and see what is next. smile

Abbey

Posted: 14 June 2014 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Abbey your lemon meringue cake looks great!  If you didn’t use all the syrup on the cake, that would explain it being dry.  Those types of sponge cakes need all that syrup to be wonderfully moist and flavorful.  It can seem like a lot when you’re ladeling it on, but it works.

Nice job!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 15 June 2014 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks Julie.

I got a request to make that cake again and did use all the syrup this time. It did seem like a lot of syrup but the cake was perfect. Thanks for letting me know it would be okay.

The second time around was still a lot of work but worth it. People just love that cake. smile

Posted: 28 June 2014 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

So glad it worked out well for you!  Sounds like it is very popular and appreciated.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

2 of 2