Stand mixer
Posted: 07 June 2014 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-06-07

I really hope someone can help me with this, it’s driving me mental!

I have a fabulous victoria sponge recipe which I make with dairy free margarine because my son’s allergic to milk. Using my old stand mixer which had beater attachments like you’d get on a hand-held mixer the recipe worked every time. Now I’ve changed my stand mixer to one with a paddle attachment and my cake mix is curdling every time. I haven’t changed anything else so I can only assume it’s the mixer. The cake is still coming out fine once it’s baked, but it’s really bugging me that it’s doing this.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can sort this out?

Posted: 07 June 2014 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18
pinkelastik - 07 June 2014 08:40 AM

I really hope someone can help me with this, it’s driving me mental!

I have a fabulous victoria sponge recipe which I make with dairy free margarine because my son’s allergic to milk. Using my old stand mixer which had beater attachments like you’d get on a hand-held mixer the recipe worked every time. Now I’ve changed my stand mixer to one with a paddle attachment and my cake mix is curdling every time. I haven’t changed anything else so I can only assume it’s the mixer. The cake is still coming out fine once it’s baked, but it’s really bugging me that it’s doing this.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can sort this out?

PINKELASTIK:
    Good morning. Welcome to our baking forum. Generally, when this condition occurs it is because the recipes ingredients are not at the same temperature.  As an example, butter about to be creamed with the sugar it is considered to be optimum if the butter be at 65 / 67, degrees. The other ingredients should be at room temp with~in a few degrees. Sooo, if your recipe ingredients vary by perhaps 15 / 25 degrees from each other your batter just may suffer CURDLING.

I suggest room temp ingredients except the butter. I hope this information will help you & your baked product.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
  ~FRESHKID.

Posted: 07 June 2014 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-06-07

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try playing around with the temperature of the margarine, but I’m using it at the exact same temperature as I used to. The only variable I can think of is the new mixer.

Posted: 07 June 2014 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1358
Joined  2008-09-27

What you probably mean is that the batter looks curdled. It may be that the paddle breaks the butter up into somewhat larger chunks than does the whisk-like beaters of the hand mixer. If it doesn’t affect the final results, you might just have to get used to it. Mine usually look that way.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 07 June 2014 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2012-01-12

This happened to me one time when I added cold milk to room temp butter. What I did was put the metal bowl on top of a bowl of warm water (not hot) the one from the faucet then kept whisking it by hand. It became smooth then I put it back in my Kitchen Aid mixer and whisk it more. It stayed smooth.  I use Kitchen Aid and I love them. It is most likely a temp issue as what was mentioned earlier.