Vanilla Extract questions
Posted: 18 June 2014 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-06-18

Hi guys!

I’m a big fan of using high quality vanilla extract, so I use the Nielsen-Massay products. I usually use the Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract and I am happy with it. But…I was wondering if anyone has ever used the fair trade version, and if they noticed a difference in taste? I would feel good buying fair trade, but I want to make sure it’s not different.

Thanks!

Ellie

Posted: 21 June 2014 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-06-19

I can’t really afford the really GOOD extracts, so i usually get the store brand…they work just as well; maybe not as rich in flavor as the high-quality ones, but they do the job.  You will probably notice a slight difference in taste, but that won’t affect what you’re baking….just don’t ever get ‘vanilla flavoring’!!  Now THAT’S phony!!!!

Posted: 04 July 2014 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-06-28

I wish I could afford the fair trade kind! I buy my vanilla in bulk from a restaurant supply that doesn’t check to make sure you have a restaurant. That’s also how I get my flour, sugar, yeast, and a whole lot of my day-to-day groceries.

But I do know one really good way of getting vanilla: my dad used to make his own. He’d take a pint bottle of vodka and put a split vanilla bean in it. It took a few weeks to mature, but the vanilla was really good.