Cake for a 9 hour road trip
Posted: 21 June 2014 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-04-30

Hello everyone!
I want to surprise my niece with a birthday cake. I am unable to take a frosted cake on board a plane; so I am considering of taking it with me on a 9 hour trip to Ohio. Falling short of packing it in a cooler with all the risk involved of keeping it cold with ice; do you have any suggestions on a good birthday cake idea? I considered bringing unfrosted cupcakes and taking tubs of cold buttercream with me which is easier to handle or lemon bars, brownies, or blondies that I can stack and put candles on them. I still want a traditional cake, though. I appreciate any help out there.

Sincerely,
Jack

Posted: 22 June 2014 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2012-01-12

If your traveling w/ a naked cake, then the cake should be fine as long as there is no heatwave. Maybe put it in the freezer the night b4. Take it out when u are about to leave. The buttercream would require more care. The cooler should work. Good luck.

Posted: 28 June 2014 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

You’re very nice to surprise your niece with a cake!

When I’ve traveled with a cake it has been made up completely in advance, then frozen.  I put it in a protective container in a cooler with ice and check the ice every so often to see if it needs replacing.  It has always worked for me. 

If you really can’t bring a cooler with ice, then I would also recommend an unfrosted cake.  You could do something like bring chocolate and buy cream and make a simple ganache when you get there.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 August 2014 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you for all your suggestions and advise. I got around the problem by traveling with a naked cake and placed all the buttercream frosting I need in a cooler. I packed my decorating tools and when I got to my destination, I frosted the cake in their kitchen without any problems. Regretfully, I am unable to post the pictures because the file is too huge for this site’s requirements to post it.

Thanks again.

Posted: 26 August 2014 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad it worked out for you smile

re: photo size, they need to be re-sized before uploading.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour