Cake for a 9 hour road trip
Posted: 21 June 2014 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-04-30

Hello everyone!
I want to surprise my niece with a birthday cake. I am unable to take a frosted cake on board a plane; so I am considering of taking it with me on a 9 hour trip to Ohio. Falling short of packing it in a cooler with all the risk involved of keeping it cold with ice; do you have any suggestions on a good birthday cake idea? I considered bringing unfrosted cupcakes and taking tubs of cold buttercream with me which is easier to handle or lemon bars, brownies, or blondies that I can stack and put candles on them. I still want a traditional cake, though. I appreciate any help out there.

Sincerely,
Jack

Posted: 22 June 2014 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2012-01-12

If your traveling w/ a naked cake, then the cake should be fine as long as there is no heatwave. Maybe put it in the freezer the night b4. Take it out when u are about to leave. The buttercream would require more care. The cooler should work. Good luck.

Posted: 28 June 2014 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4902
Joined  2008-04-16

You’re very nice to surprise your niece with a cake!

When I’ve traveled with a cake it has been made up completely in advance, then frozen.  I put it in a protective container in a cooler with ice and check the ice every so often to see if it needs replacing.  It has always worked for me. 

If you really can’t bring a cooler with ice, then I would also recommend an unfrosted cake.  You could do something like bring chocolate and buy cream and make a simple ganache when you get there.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen: Easy No-Knead Brioche

Posted: 19 August 2014 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you for all your suggestions and advise. I got around the problem by traveling with a naked cake and placed all the buttercream frosting I need in a cooler. I packed my decorating tools and when I got to my destination, I frosted the cake in their kitchen without any problems. Regretfully, I am unable to post the pictures because the file is too huge for this site’s requirements to post it.

Thanks again.

Posted: 26 August 2014 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4902
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad it worked out for you smile

re: photo size, they need to be re-sized before uploading.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen: Easy No-Knead Brioche

Posted: 20 January 2015 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2015-01-20

I agree with Jack Alix: avoid the anxiety and travel with an unfrosted cake, leaving enough time before the meal or event to chill your frosting if necessary. Kids in your host family will love watching the frosting and decorating process, and they will always remember you with awe.

Posted: 22 March 2015 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2015-03-22

I’m absolytely agree with prettycake