cooking rice in broth instead of water
Posted: 22 June 2014 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-06-19

Hi everybody!!!!! Does anyone have any advice? I found a recipe for rice that sounded good—only it called for chicken broth instead of water, and it didn’t come out too good—the consistency of the rice was soggy…the recipe said to put some oil in the pot and then brown the rice for 1 minute before adding the broth and boiling, etc…...that sounded a little odd to me, but I tried it; maybe that was why it didn’t come out…??? has anyone ever done this with excellent results????

Posted: 22 June 2014 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-18
Cynna - 22 June 2014 03:30 PM

Hi everybody!!!!! Does anyone have any advice? I found a recipe for rice that sounded good—only it called for chicken broth instead of water, and it didn’t come out too good—the consistency of the rice was soggy…the recipe said to put some oil in the pot and then brown the rice for 1 minute before adding the broth and boiling, etc…...that sounded a little odd to me, but I tried it; maybe that was why it didn’t come out…??? has anyone ever done this with excellent results????

CYNNA:
  Good afternoon. No, I have not employed the technique that you have described. However, I would like to tell you what I used to do when I was a amateur volunteer chef feeding the homeless. Heat up the water that you intend to use & drop 1 or 2 chicken boullin cubes in the water or maybe 1/2 TBLS of powered chicken. That is effective & direct. I might add that cubes are very salty, be carefull when adding the condiments.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the weekend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 22 June 2014 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi,
I come from a country where we eat rice breakfast, lunch and dinner…Asia. We cook rice for dessert too, but the sticky kind. Use broth as if u are using water in terms of amount. Are u using Jasmin or the Japanese kind ? Please avoid Uncle Bens for this type of cooking or u will end up with porridge. When I make rice w/ broth I also use Saffron.

Posted: 22 June 2014 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-06-19

Thanks, guys!!  The bullion cubes are a good idea—I used to first cook the rice (I use Jasmine rice, btw), and THEN add a little broth after it was done…but this cooking the rice, itself, in broth?  Not too sure about that one!!

Posted: 22 June 2014 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

You boil the rice in the broth, just like what you would do with water.

Posted: 22 June 2014 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27
Cynna - 22 June 2014 07:44 PM

he recipe said to put some oil in the pot and then brown the rice for 1 minute

Sauteing the rice helps keep the grains separate and adds a slight nutty flavor. Feel free to skip that step if that’s not what you want. I don’t usually do this.

If you got mushy rice, you probably used too much liquid.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 23 June 2014 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-06-19

Oh, so THAT’S why you saute the rice first…..thanks, I didn’t know that…...I don’t think I want any nut flavor in my rice (I’M enough of a nut as it is!)...