2 of 2
Frosting effect question
Posted: 15 December 2008 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

What a beautiful cake! I like yours much better than the original, and I know it must have tasted loads better, too!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 December 2008 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

You’re welcome, Rozanne. The technique is much like flooding, except that you turn the piece over to put it on the cake. A few more quick tips, while the experience is still fresh in my mind.

1) the final result will be a reverse image in chocolate of the picture you’re using. So use a reverse image to begin with, if it’s important to your overall cake design to keep the original orientation.
2) I dissolved the powdered food color in a bit of melted cocoa butter first, then stirred it into the melted chocolate. My cake decorating store wanted to sell me a product made with oil, I think called parchment flakes, but I had the cocoa butter on hand.
3) For black, start with dark choc melts. It takes less food color to deepen brown than to start with white.
4) You probably know that chocolate doesn’t take kindly to food color with any water in it. That’s why I used powder.
5) And last but not least, place the piece very carefully. It’s fragile!

Labour-intensive but worth it to put a smile on a child’s face! Good luck with your project. I’ll look forward to seeing the results.

Posted: 15 December 2008 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks, Julie! When it comes to taste, you can’t go wrong with one of Rose’s recipes. smile

The only thing I had to figure out for myself was how long to bake a 9” layer. Took a tip from Alton Brown’s carrot cake recipe found online and waited for the interior temp to reach 205 degrees F at the centre. That was 70 minutes. I turned the oven down from 350 to 325F after 45 minutes to prevent over-browning.

Posted: 15 December 2008 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Carol - 15 December 2008 05:09 PM

You’re welcome, Rozanne. The technique is much like flooding, except that you turn the piece over to put it on the cake. A few more quick tips, while the experience is still fresh in my mind.

1) the final result will be a reverse image in chocolate of the picture you’re using. So use a reverse image to begin with, if it’s important to your overall cake design to keep the original orientation.
2) I dissolved the powdered food color in a bit of melted cocoa butter first, then stirred it into the melted chocolate. My cake decorating store wanted to sell me a product made with oil, I think called parchment flakes, but I had the cocoa butter on hand.
3) For black, start with dark choc melts. It takes less food color to deepen brown than to start with white.
4) You probably know that chocolate doesn’t take kindly to food color with any water in it. That’s why I used powder.
5) And last but not least, place the piece very carefully. It’s fragile!

Labour-intensive but worth it to put a smile on a child’s face! Good luck with your project. I’ll look forward to seeing the results.

Thanks again Carol for the very useful tips. I’ll definitely post a picture of the cake.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

2 of 2