1 of 2
House smells good :)
Posted: 25 June 2014 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

Made Challah tonight.. still hot.. it came out very fluffy and tasty.. I adjusted my recipe…I don’t my Challah looking a bit burnt or too brown.

Image Attachments
P1030331.JPGP1030335.JPG

Posted: 25 June 2014 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Prettycake,

I love bread and that looks perfect. What do you mean about adjusting your recipe? I don’t know if I should bake bread since I love it so much. smile

Posted: 25 June 2014 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

I added a little less flour and added little more sugar but for the honey the same amount. I like to adjust or modify recipes according to my taste.

Thank you Abby grin

Posted: 25 June 2014 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Oh, prettycake, you are welcome.

You got me thinking about Challah and interested enough to google it. That does sound like fun, but like I said, bread is my weakness. But, I will be brave!! smile

I’ll get some fresh yeast, some honey and keep reading about it. I wonder if you could give some helpful direction with the braiding.  So, it is tow over, one under and two over again.

I’m sure you know how to make it perfect, obviously. wink

Posted: 26 June 2014 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Abby,
Here is my recipe, I found this somewhere, but I changed it a little bit.

1 1/2 cup warm water ( 120 degrees) + 1 T sugar)
5 tsp yeast ( I use regular not fancy & not rapid rise)
3 eggs; 1/2 c sugar; 5 cups APF or bread flour; 5T soft unsalted butter; 2tsp salt; 2 T honey.

Combine yeast and warm H20 put aside for 10-15 mins. Then add all ingredients except flour. I use KA hook mixer. I add the flour gradually and mix well after each flour addition. If it sticky , u may add more flour, BUT do not exceed 1/2 c more, but also use a little when kneading. As long as it does not stick to your hands even though it is very soft. Let rise for 2 hrs. This one I made took 1 1/2 hrs. and the dough tripled in size. Then divide into logs, depending how many sections your braid will be. I can only do three. I do not know how to do four or six.  I have to learn. After braiding, let rise for 30 mins. Then bake for 35 mins until internal temp is 180F ( temp is perfect for me or whatever is right for u) or test it like cake with a long cake tester or skewer or anything that works for this.  Bake at 350F for 35 mins. Brush egg wash b4 baking.  U can adjust the sugar according to your taste.

NOTE: I made one big braid and made a little one to put on top of the big one. U can split the dough to make one big one then also make small twisted rolls. That depends on you.

Posted: 26 June 2014 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Prettycake,

Thank you so much prettycake, that is exactly what I needed to get me through without any problems.

You answered every ? for me and I just printed this so I will have it in the kitchen with me. Funfunfun!!!!

I wondered about the yeast and what kind to use.  I’ve never used the KA hook either so that will be exciting. smile I don’t suppose it matters which bowl-glass or metal-to use?

I will really enjoy creating the braid and I like your idea of one braid and little twists, but we will see what I can manage.

You are very kind to help me and I am so happy to have an interesting project for the weekend.  Thanks Again!! smile

Posted: 26 June 2014 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Abby,
U are very welcome. I just use the yeast at the grocery. I do not use rapid rise, it leave a strong yeast smell in the bread. I should practice and learn about braiding four or six or more, they look so nice. After I use the hook, iknead it again on the board for about 5-10 mins until smooth. I also use a metal scraper to pick up the dough if it sticks to the surface. I used plastic bowl slightly greased. I have also used glass. I do not see a difference in the result.

I’m excited for u..☺

Posted: 26 June 2014 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good to know. I will knead it again then. I will use the glass bowl then and lightly grease it. Yaaaaah!! Maybe I should watch some videos on braiding so I get that right. Thanks smile

Posted: 27 June 2014 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Prettycake,

Are you going to try to learn how to braid four or six or more? smile  Watched several videos last night and will have to watch the six or more again.

She said to practice with shoestrings so I will do that today. It looks like fun once you figure it out.

I hope you try it!!

Abby  

Posted: 27 June 2014 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Abbey,
I saw some step and step instructions in Pinterest, when it get to third step I am lost and confused grin I will watch videos, that might be better. Thank u for the suggestion. I will do that. Thank u. I really want to learn them, at least the four and six.

Posted: 27 June 2014 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I know how you feel. I had to chuckle a bit. But I kept watching until it made sense. I’m not saying I completely get it yet but I look forward to giving it a try.  They use different techniques for say the four layered braid than the seven layered braid.

I watched with such delight a lady mixing the dough with her hands ≈ beautiful to me.

Posted: 28 June 2014 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

I saw a video where this lady used colored sections, all five of them, but even with the colors, it was still confusing. I will have to take notes. Practice makes perfect.

Posted: 28 June 2014 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Now my house smells good. What a wonderful aroma!!

Man, that was not easy. I can see why people use bread machines. I’m waiting for my pics through email to show though my braiding needs a lot more practice. I should have taken notes like you suggested. I figured by watching enough of the videos the braiding would happen naturally.

I was trying to be careful not to add too much flour to the dough and by the looks of it, I did okay.

I am pleased with it actually considering how it seemed all wrong until I saw how beautiful it looked after baking. It has a slight sweetness to it that is wonderful so I’m thinking the honey works well in this recipe. It is delicious.

Thanks prettycake. That was a challenge and I liked it.

Image Attachments
bread.jpg

Posted: 28 June 2014 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Very good ! Yay! You did well. Now u may adjust the sweetness and everything else to your taste. With me, if I see a recipe I like, I will make exactly how the recipe says and the next one will be the way I like it, but:-) still use that recipe. Glad u did it. Very nice. I just learned braiding 5 & 6…

Posted: 29 June 2014 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks prettycake. I appreciate your kind words and your help so much. I’m sure it will be even better next time now that I know a little more about it. I think the flavor is perfect but I like your idea of experimenting and will do so.   

I was wondering about the amount of yeast because some recipes us less. The dough rose just fine but I’m curious.

I’m glad you learned how to braid. I will keep trying to learn and really look forward to making it prettier next time.

So now that you’ve learned, will you bake it again soon? smile

Posted: 30 June 2014 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1567
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 25 June 2014 01:18 AM

Made Challah tonight.. still hot.. it came out very fluffy and tasty.. I adjusted my recipe…I don’t my Challah looking a bit burnt or too brown.

Those look amazing Prettycake. I miss challah. I haven’t had it since childhood. I have so many recipes for French Toast calling for challah as the bread.

1 of 2