texas hill country kolache
Posted: 02 July 2014 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-07-02

looking for a good bread recipe for a kolache.  there is no place in HOUSTON that can bake a kolache like anywhere past the colorado river in texas.  i’ve tried all kinds of recipes - all come out hard.  if anyone knows what i’m talking about, please chime in.

thanks,

Gil

Posted: 03 July 2014 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Gil,

I think the softest kolaches often have potato in the dough—here are the ingredients for Weikels in La Grange:

Bleached flour, water, soybean oil, egg yolks, sugar, potato flour (potato flakes, mono diglycerides, sapp, sodium metsbisulfite, citric acid), margarine,  citric acid, artificial flavor, beta carotene, vitamin a, yeast, salt, dry milk.

I found a similar recipe, although I haven’t had a chance to try it yet: http://midwesternmoms.com/2011/07/kolache-recipe/

I also bookmarked this a while back: http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/we-gotcha-kolache

You might also be getting too much flour in your dough if they are all coming out hard. You might try a different method of measuring the flour to see if you get a better result.

Posted: 03 July 2014 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-07-02

Matt,

that is exactly the bread i’m trying to replicate. Weinkels is the BEST.  in fact, i’ll be there for breakfast on saturday morning.
now on with the recipe comments.

what i did notice was the yellow tint to the bread,  which lead me to the yolks only type of bread - would you agree?
also, what is so perplexing is the shape of the final product.  do you think they cut them out round and end up with square kolaches?

i’ve been playing around with mashed potatoes in my bread mixes and the starchy liquid.

Posted: 03 July 2014 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, their list of ingredients says egg yolks, but also beta carotene, which is probably used for the yellow color as well.

I think they start out round but become square from how they are placed in the baking pans and rise.

‹‹ Ankarsrum      Bread Makers ››