home baking business
Posted: 02 July 2014 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-06-19

Hey everybody!

I have been sitting on the darn fence contemplating whether I should get a Cottage Food Permit in order to sell my cookies and cakes to the public; so far I have been successful with family and friends, so I am thinking to branch out….for some reason, I cannot get my thumb out of my rear and buckle down to start the process!!  I have done lots of research and considered all the ins and outs, goods and bads, etc., so I am aware of what is in store—that’s not the problem….maybe I’m afraid of failure….. or success..??  Is anybody else out there in RoseLand in the same boat?????  Help!!!

Posted: 03 July 2014 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-07-02

I’ve thought of the same thing - i’m just trying to figure out is what is my goal - to get that big or do it as a hobby?  for me, it makes me happy - i’d rather not go to houston to do this but stick to a small town (katy, brookshire) and be the best there.

Posted: 03 July 2014 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2012-01-12

I am here in California and have thought of this in the past. There is so much to consider, not just knowing how to bake stuff. CA makes it very hard that is why I decided not to do bake for business. Getting paid takes away then fun. Although I can make cakes like Ace of Cakes or Martha Stewart, I would not do it. I bake when I feel like it. I cannot imagine myself baking at 2:00 in the morning or midnight and not having my weekends to myself. I always think, what if I have a bad head ache or what if I am not in the mood to bake ? Try it and see. As for me, no, I like the no commitment bakng and bake things for fun. Good luck.

Posted: 04 July 2014 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-06-28

It isn’t unusual to hesitate before taking a huge leap of faith. There’s fear of failure, of course. There’s the possibility of fear of success, too. There’s fear of losing the joy of doing something you love if it becomes a daily chore. There may also be fear of running afoul of a legal issue without intent that could land you in trouble for a long time. Fear of ridicule is always big.

IOW, there are a lot of reasons people hesitate before doing something this big. people who write fiction for fun have a lot of the same fears that keep them from actually starting that novel.

But ultimately you know that the only way you will know whether or not this will be successful, whether or not it will make you happy, is to take the plunge and give it a go.

So think about this: when you’re on your deathbed, will you regret never trying?

If the answer is yes, I’d say get going!

Posted: 04 July 2014 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-06-19

Wow, thanks guys!! You’ve given me alot to think about!!  Gil T, you are lucky you’re in a small town—I am in the capitol of California, so I have LOTS of competition!!  Prettycake has a good point about it maybe becoming a dreaded chore down the road…this makes me think I should only continue to do it for fun…and Twistie, that’s a good question!!  thanks so much, everybody!!

Posted: 04 July 2014 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2007-11-27

You might choose to offer only a few specialty items - something you’re known for or that people request and then come back for more.  That way you can try out the process and see what it does (or doesn’t do) for you but you’re not trying to sell so many different things you burn yourself out.

I started with a flourless chocolate cake recipe that a local business wanted to sell for Passover (even though I was not in a kosher kitchen); that’s what prompted me to get a commercial kitchen, all the appropriate permits, etc.  This is a big seller during the fall and winter months; and one restaurant put it on it’s menu and goes through 40 to 100 at a time.  I start to get tired of making these somewhere around Valentine’s Day and swear each year that I’m taking it off the menu (but I can’t!) after Christmas, but that never happens. smile  After many years, I still love making delicious things for people to eat; the thrill of the challenge of a new menu, a new season….and while I have days that I absolutely wish I was still in high tech, I am much happier as a pastry chef.  I’m not making money like I was in high tech wink so there’s that to consider!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)