Chocolate fudge/dark swiss buttercream possible?
Posted: 05 July 2014 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-07-05

It seems that every recipe I find for chocolate Swiss or Italian buttercream is always light in color. I know that I have had dark chocolate buttercreams that were absolutely NOT powdered sugar style, because they were much too light and smooth, like meringue buttercreams.

But I can’t seem to,find any recipes that produce a chocolate that looks like the smooth, light but rich buttercreams I have eaten.

Is there some third style of buttercream that produces a dark result but remains light and smooth?

Posted: 05 July 2014 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

You might search on here for “Bill’s Buttercream”.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 July 2014 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-27

Sometimes it’s the type of chocolate; when I use Callebaut instead of the usual (cheaper) Shokinag/Chocoa bittersweet, the difference in color is noticable.  I also find that Callebaut is more viscous so the buttercream doesn’t break if you decide you want more chocolate than you should wink  You might also get a darker result with the yolk-based buttercream (NeoClassic in RLB terms) than with the mousseline.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 07 July 2014 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

A whipped ganache is also a nice alternative and really easy to make if you are patient smile

Posted: 20 July 2014 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Chocolate buttercream is normally less strongly flavored than ganache.  If you want intensity, go for either a classic or a whipped ganache.  Rose’s light whipped ganache is one of my all-time favorite frostings smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe