Tweed Angel Food Cake
Posted: 06 July 2014 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2011-12-25

This cake is delicious. I mean goooood.

I was quite anxious about it falling out of the pan while cooling upside down and every time I walked past it I thought for sure it was going to drop. Wrong. Worried about nothing.

I didn’t really have any problems except the frosting was much lighter in color than Rose’s picture. 

I did realize the chocolate bar for the frosting needed to be 60% cocoa, but only had 85%, so finally decided to go buy the right stuff. I searched for answers.  Is there a way to compensate for the higher percentages by adding more sugar? I didn’t want to risk it, but am curious about it.

So, once again, this was quite a treat and a beautiful cake. Light and fluffy with a nice chocolaty flavor. Really didn’t remind me of Angel Food Cake at all. wink

Image Attachments
tweedu.jpgtweedi.jpgtweedd.jpgtweed2.jpg

Posted: 07 July 2014 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

This is just beautiful Abbey.  I bet if you are just grating chocolate into the frosting you could use the stronger stuff, it would just taste more chocolatey and less sweet, is all.  But angel food cakes are so sweet I don’t think that would be a bad thing, personally.

I’ve been longing to make this cake and now I will try! 

Did you use a pan with a non-stick coating, but without putting any coating on it?  Is it the pan you showed a picture of in the other thread?  I have several tube pans now, and I’m not sure which would be the best to use.
One is just plain aluminum 2-piece.  I’ve used that, bare (NO pan goo, spray, etc)  for a chocolate angelfood cake but I chickened out and slapped a siliconized paper on the base (just cut a central hole in one of those pre-cut rounds.)  It worked fine, the cake stayed in and I was able to get it out using a knife along the sides and central cone.
Another one is nonstick 2-piece which I used long ago for a chiffon cake and it was a disaster, the cake slipped out and collapsed, but I didn’t know about not coating the pan then and I had buttered and floured it.  It works fine for regular cakes, if coated.
And one is the same pan that Flour Girl loves, the 1-piece Nordic ware Platinum one, which I’ve used for fruitcakes and the like, works like a dream.  Since I recently bought that one, I use it instead of the 2-piece non-stick one mostly. 
Oh and a vintage 1-piece one that is yellow on the outside and oddly, has some kind of white coating on the sides and the cone, but is bare aluminum on the bottom.  Strange but so far it works fine for regular cakes.  I do use ‘pan goo’ on it and paper on the bare aluminum base though.  I haven’t tried it for a fatless type of cake.

Posted: 07 July 2014 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18
abbey - 06 July 2014 09:54 PM

This cake is delicious. I mean goooood.

I was quite anxious about it falling out of the pan while cooling upside down and every time I walked past it I thought for sure it was going to drop. Wrong. Worried about nothing.

I didn’t really have any problems except the frosting was much lighter in color than Rose’s picture. 

I did realize the chocolate bar for the frosting needed to be 60% cocoa, but only had 85%, so finally decided to go buy the right stuff. I searched for answers.  Is there a way to compensate for the higher percentages by adding more sugar? I didn’t want to risk it, but am curious about it.

So, once again, this was quite a treat and a beautiful cake. Light and fluffy with a nice chocolaty flavor. Really didn’t remind me of Angel Food Cake at all. wink

ABBEY:
  Good morning. I hope you enjoyed the long weekend baking some goodies for yourself. I think you did a good job of this bake.
I enjoyed viewing your photo’s.

You questioned the roll of the 60% & 85% cocoa role that it plays in your recipe. You are correct that in employing the 85% choco. it has less sugar content than the 60% choco.
JULIE has a formula for balancing out these 2, items. I have it also but she can do it better than I as I learned it from her some time ago.

Have a nice day Abbey.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 07 July 2014 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2011-10-15

Abbey, your cake turned out beautifully! It baked up so tall and level, and you were very brave to torte and fill it - it must have been a challenge (at least it would be for me smile) with a cake that delicate.

Posted: 07 July 2014 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1608
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey, You did an amazing job! Your cake looks luscious ! I am so proud of you and your success!!

Posted: 07 July 2014 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks Everyone!! smile

eag-It is that exact pan I showed to FG and no prep to the pan. I don’t think it should have held onto the all the brown goodness of the outside of the cake but at least it came out of the pan okay. I love FlourGirl’s pan and think that would be ideal for this cake. I don’t know about all the others. This pan I used is light weight, not sure if FG’s is.  I don’t know about the siliconized paper?

I think your right about the chocolate but thanks for reassuring me. I sure did enjoy making this cake. It was a challenge but a lot of fun. So I hope you have some fun. smile
——————————
Hi ~Freshkid, I figured there was a formula but couldn’t find any reference to it. Kinda drove me crazy so I’m glad to hear. I’ll look under Julie’s posts.  thanks for the kind compliments and I’m glad you enjoyed it. smile
——————————
Hi Sophia, Thank you! I was very brave smile...My was I nervous. When cutting the cake I started out standing, then realized I needed to get eye-level with the cake. I had to concentrate with everything I had or I knew I was going to mess it up. Then when I had to transfer the frosted cake onto a smaller plate so it would fit in the carrier, I really had to be carful—that was unnerving. HeeHee!!! But worth every minute of it. Cake has a wonderful flavor and if I ever make this again, I wouldn’t put as much frosting on it. The cake itself is too good to cover up.
—————————-
FG—I did good with a little(a lot) help from Rose!!  I brought it to work and shared. I love knowing what they think and they are all pretty honest with me. It seems that Lemon Meringue Cake is still a big favorite of some. Thanks so much for being so sweet.

Abbey wink

Posted: 07 July 2014 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2012-01-12

Great looking cake… I love Angel Food Cake.. no matter what flavor.

Posted: 09 July 2014 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you very much Prettycake. I love it now. Always had store bought stuff so this is a real treat for me. I should bake the vanilla bean AFC next time. Have you made any of Rose’s AFCs? I will buy the 2-piece pan eventually just for fun. Do you use that pan?

Posted: 11 July 2014 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1608
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 07 July 2014 01:40 PM

Thanks Everyone!! smile

eag-It is that exact pan I showed to FG and no prep to the pan. I don’t think it should have held onto the all the brown goodness of the outside of the cake but at least it came out of the pan okay. I love FlourGirl’s pan and think that would be ideal for this cake. I don’t know about all the others. This pan I used is light weight, not sure if FG’s is.  I don’t know about the siliconized paper?

I think your right about the chocolate but thanks for reassuring me. I sure did enjoy making this cake. It was a challenge but a lot of fun. So I hope you have some fun. smile
——————————
Hi ~Freshkid, I figured there was a formula but couldn’t find any reference to it. Kinda drove me crazy so I’m glad to hear. I’ll look under Julie’s posts.  thanks for the kind compliments and I’m glad you enjoyed it. smile
——————————
Hi Sophia, Thank you! I was very brave smile...My was I nervous. When cutting the cake I started out standing, then realized I needed to get eye-level with the cake. I had to concentrate with everything I had or I knew I was going to mess it up. Then when I had to transfer the frosted cake onto a smaller plate so it would fit in the carrier, I really had to be carful—that was unnerving. HeeHee!!! But worth every minute of it. Cake has a wonderful flavor and if I ever make this again, I wouldn’t put as much frosting on it. The cake itself is too good to cover up.
—————————-
FG—I did good with a little(a lot) help from Rose!!  I brought it to work and shared. I love knowing what they think and they are all pretty honest with me. It seems that Lemon Meringue Cake is still a big favorite of some. Thanks so much for being so sweet.

Abbey wink

Hi Abbey,

I sure wish I worked where you work. I’d be so happy to get to taste all your beautiful creations.  I know Rose is a part of your success but your desire to succeed and willingness to try new things have made your creations your own. 

Big Congratulations!

Posted: 11 July 2014 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

You are sweetheart for sure. I would be so happy to share with you and would love to hear your opinion—wouldn’t that be fun. I guess we will just have to use our imaginations and this forum smile  Thank goodness for that and for you!!

Posted: 20 July 2014 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Abbey, this looks wonderful and sounds like it was completely delicious! smile

re: subbing chocolate of different cacao percentages, it works well in recipes where the chocolate is melted and blended with other ingredients and there’s a way to incorporate the sugar so that it dissolves and works well in the recipe.  I’m not sure with this frosting, because the chocolate is in chunks, if it would be as successful.  Probably it would as the chunks are so tiny.  I might wonder if you would get a chunk and it would be too bitter when you crunched it.  But if they are tiny enough, they would probably always be with enough of the sweeter frosting base that it would be fine.

Anyway, the formula goes like this:
need 100g of 60% chocolate
have 85% chocolate in pantry

the amount of chocolate liquor you need is 100g x 60% or 60 grams
the amount of sugar you need is about 40% of 100g or 40 grams.

to get 60 grams of cacao with 85% chocolate, 60 / 0.85 = 70.6 grams of 85% chocolate (round up to 71 grams unless your scale is accurate to tenths or something like that)
So you’ll need 71 grams of 85% chocolate to get the same 60 grams of cacao that is in 100grams of 60% chocolate. 

Now for the sugar:
to find out how much sugar you have in 71 grams of 85% chocolate, 71 x 0.15 = 11 grams of sugar in 71 grams of 85% chocolate. 
you have 11 grams but need 40 grams, so 40-11 = 29 grams of additional sugar needs to be added to the recipe. 

This is a bit simplified because sugar and cacao/chocolate liquor aren’t the only two ingredients in chocolate (lecithin and sometimes vanilla are other ingredients), but it is close enough and I’ve used it with success many, many times.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 21 July 2014 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you very much Julie.

I had to read it a few times and do understand the formula now. That makes perfect sense and I think it will be fine with the size of the chocolate pieces and the additional sugar needed to balance it.

I will save this and rely on it for future use.

BTW, this cake was so unique and so beautiful, I really enjoyed everything about it and won’t hesitate to bake it again. Rose really is amazing and so are you!! Thanks Again. smile

Abbey

Posted: 25 July 2014 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

You’re welcome! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert