Dutch Oven vs La Cloche
Posted: 09 July 2014 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-07-09

I picked up the book “Flour, Water Salt, Yeast”, after Rose mentioned a couple recipes from it.  The book uses a dutch oven for all of the bread recipes.  Is there a difference in how the bread turns out between using a dutch oven vs a La Cloche?  It seems they provide the same basic function.  Thank you!

Posted: 10 July 2014 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1369
Joined  2008-09-27

The La Cloche is mainly intended to keep the baking environment moist. The cast iron dutch oven does that, too, but it is also a huge reservoir of heat so that the bread rises very quickly and turns very dark.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 August 2014 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-08-10

My experience is that I get a better “grigne” in my Le Creuset dutch ovens than in a La Cloche, which IMHO is intended, at least, to do the same thing: trap escaping moisture in order to slow down how quickly the crust bakes and therefore crisps. I make small, 500+ gr boules in a 1.5 qt DO, which is know is smaller than Forkish specifies. But these are a perfect 2-person size and open up (oven spring) with better, more consistent results than my la Cloche or any of the other methods I’ve tried to replicate a commercial oven.

I’ve been reading about Forkish’s book with great interest and have put it on hold at the local library to see if I want to read it or have it!!  What did you think?

Image Attachments
photo_2.jpg

Posted: 13 August 2014 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Nice looking boules!  re: FWSY, I loved the book and had fun baking from it.  I did have two issues with it, though, the first was that my breads never followed his timetables, they were always faster, so check your rises early.  The second was the huge amounts of starter that he tosses in the trash.  I scaled down to cut down on waste, and since I use a Proofer I don’t need to mix up large amounts of dough in hopes that the mass won’t lose heat while fermenting.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert