Dutch Oven vs La Cloche
Posted: 09 July 2014 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-07-09

I picked up the book “Flour, Water Salt, Yeast”, after Rose mentioned a couple recipes from it.  The book uses a dutch oven for all of the bread recipes.  Is there a difference in how the bread turns out between using a dutch oven vs a La Cloche?  It seems they provide the same basic function.  Thank you!

Posted: 11 August 2014 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-08-10

My experience is that I get a better “grigne” in my Le Creuset dutch ovens than in a La Cloche, which IMHO is intended, at least, to do the same thing: trap escaping moisture in order to slow down how quickly the crust bakes and therefore crisps. I make small, 500+ gr boules in a 1.5 qt DO, which is know is smaller than Forkish specifies. But these are a perfect 2-person size and open up (oven spring) with better, more consistent results than my la Cloche or any of the other methods I’ve tried to replicate a commercial oven.

I’ve been reading about Forkish’s book with great interest and have put it on hold at the local library to see if I want to read it or have it!!  What did you think?

Image Attachments
photo_2.jpg