I made Rose’s Lattice Cherry Pie 10 times —these are my tips
Posted: 11 July 2014 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-07-11

I love this pie and I made it many times but using the fresh sour cherries I get here in Europe, I found it had too much liquid after baking and the liquid did not thicken up. 

I now make it this way and it works great for me in a 10inch pie pan (Rose calls for a 9inch pan). I thought I would share it with you all.

I follow all of Rose’s proportions but I use 1300 grams (2.5 pounds) of pitted fresh sour cherries
I macerate the fruit at least 2 hours
I save a couple tablespoons of the liquid from the macerated cherries (as is)
I reduce the remaining liquid on the stove top till it is translucent and shiny but not too thick (about 5 min .)
I add 2/3 cup of this liquid back to the cherries

Bake as Rose instructs.

At 35 or 40 minutes into baking, tip the pie slightly. Thick liquid should roll up the edge a bit. If it looks dry, I distribute a bit of the un-reduced liquid on the cherries (but not the lattice). It is a hack, but it helps. 

I always glaze it. I always use a baking stone. It helps to refrigerate it one hour before baking (then it does not shrink). I always use a foil ring. It is at is best about 3 to 5 hours after coming out of the oven.

It is a beautiful pie. I serve it with fresh Italian vanilla ice cream. I get a perfect amount of slightly thickened cherry syrup in the pie. It is a gorgeous pie and not difficult, just takes time.

Posted: 13 July 2014 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  340
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Suzette,

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I would love to see a pic of this beautiful pie, if possible.

I know a lady that makes a home-made cherry pie with very little syrup and it is amazing. She uses cherries grown from a tree she planted in her yard.

I think I’ll have to take a look at Rose’s cookbook now!!

Abbey

Posted: 15 July 2014 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-07-11

Sure, here is a photo of one I made recently. The fruit-to-syrup ratio is really perfect. And even though I use a lot of cherries, the amount of sugar and cornstarch and salt still tastes perfect to me. The weight of cherries I gave (1300 grams) is the weight I buy (with stems and pits).

Image Attachments
20140629_170356.jpg

Posted: 15 July 2014 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-07-11

And another recent one. I also sprinkle a little sugar on the glazed lattice, just makes it sparkle.

Image Attachments
20140706_145031.jpg

Posted: 15 July 2014 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Beautiful is right!

I have a jar of Morello cherries that should work, I hope. Thanks for sharing your pic and I will follow your directions.

Posted: 20 July 2014 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Those look like amazing pies, so happy to see those photos! smile

I also love to reduce the liquid in cherry pies.  They give off so much liquid, and I like the texture of the filling better without a large amount of gelled liquid.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 25 July 2014 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2010-01-18

Suzette, would you be able to estimate the weight of the cherries after they are pitted for me? I want to try your version, but my cherries are pitted frozen ones I’ve been hoarding. Sour Cherries are a bit harder to come by here, so when I can get them I buy lots and freeze ‘em! smile Thanks so much!! BTW your pies look fantastic!!

Posted: 25 July 2014 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

your pie looks great! are you eliminating the cornstarch completely?

Posted: 29 July 2014 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-07-11

Hello Kuchenbaaker, I probably end up with about 1200 grams of cleaned, pitted cherries. I like it to fill my 10inch pie plate nicely, fully and mound slightly.

Hello Rose, I use all the ingredients (including cornstarch) in the amounts listed in the recipe, except I increase the fresh sour cherries to 1300 grams (weight with pits and stems).  I do not feel a need to increase the sugar. For my taste and the sour cherries I buy here, it is a perfect mix of sweetness and tartness. I macerate the fruit in the sugar and cornstarch for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and cook the liquid till I have a clear and translucent syrup. For me I do that about 3 minutes or a touch longer because when I cooked it less, I got a slight cornstarch aftertaste in the finished pie. Then I add 2/3 cup of the syrup a back to the cherries and bake as instructed in the book.

I love this recipe and the cookbook! I am so fortunate to be able to buy beautiful, fresh sour cherries for about 5 weeks every summer. And I have 2 pies’ worth in the freezer for the coming winter. I know they are very hard to find in the US. I spent summers in Colorado as a kid, where both my grandmother and uncle had cherry trees and were avid cherry pie bakers. Cherry pie = summer time.

I attached two more photos and here the fruit-to-syrup ratio is clearer to see. And you can see the consistency of the syrup is not too thin, not too thick. Just perfect.

Image Attachments
166_-_Copy.jpg165_-_Copy.jpg

Posted: 30 July 2014 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I’m learning a lot from this thread and loving every minute of it. smile

I’m searching for fresh sour cherries, without any luck, but just read how much Rose likes the canned sour cherries, so I will include that in my search today.

I’m on vacation all week, with weather that is perfecto, esp for July. So as soon as I find them, I’ll be baking. 

I just read that Rose believes cooking the cherries makes them less bright and tasteful, so I’m wondering about that.

Posted: 03 August 2014 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

No fresh sour cherries to be found around here but I did find some in cans, in water! Sooo, I’m thinking that I will use the jar of Morello cherries, with juice, and add some from the can to make up for a few grams.

I did get the dough made and it is in the fridge. Hopefully I’ll figure out how to mix up the filling properly and have a wonderful pie.

At least I have some cookies to munch while figuring out the pie. smile

Posted: 05 August 2014 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

that looks sooooo good

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 06 August 2014 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Well, I did it!! Man alive, what a mess I made of it but in the long run….it worked! smile

Except, next time, I shall do it on the weekend so I don’t feel rushed and have more time to think instead of react. I’d made the dough Sunday night and the last time I did that, it was left it in the fridge too long and had to be tossed, so I got busy.

First mistake, wrong pan cuz it was a deep dish but the only “dark pan” I had. When I added the cherries, they only came up so far so had to use the canned fruit to compensate. So then I had to sorta guess about additional corn starch, sugar and water(it was already 9:30pm). Tried to judge how much liquid to use and that was the problem, as you can see by the pics. But it was good. That was just my test pie. grin

Not as pretty as your pies, Suzette but I thank you for the inspiration. I wanted to use that jar of cherries for a long time now so that was a good thing.

My search for sour cherries taught me how to find them next time so I look foward to that. The canned and jarred ones were good but nothing like the real thing.

Image Attachments
cpheart.jpgcp.jpg