I made Rose’s Lattice Cherry Pie 10 times —these are my tips
Posted: 11 July 2014 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-07-11

I love this pie and I made it many times but using the fresh sour cherries I get here in Europe, I found it had too much liquid after baking and the liquid did not thicken up. 

I now make it this way and it works great for me in a 10inch pie pan (Rose calls for a 9inch pan). I thought I would share it with you all.

I follow all of Rose’s proportions but I use 1300 grams (2.5 pounds) of pitted fresh sour cherries
I macerate the fruit at least 2 hours
I save a couple tablespoons of the liquid from the macerated cherries (as is)
I reduce the remaining liquid on the stove top till it is translucent and shiny but not too thick (about 5 min .)
I add 2/3 cup of this liquid back to the cherries

Bake as Rose instructs.

At 35 or 40 minutes into baking, tip the pie slightly. Thick liquid should roll up the edge a bit. If it looks dry, I distribute a bit of the un-reduced liquid on the cherries (but not the lattice). It is a hack, but it helps. 

I always glaze it. I always use a baking stone. It helps to refrigerate it one hour before baking (then it does not shrink). I always use a foil ring. It is at is best about 3 to 5 hours after coming out of the oven.

It is a beautiful pie. I serve it with fresh Italian vanilla ice cream. I get a perfect amount of slightly thickened cherry syrup in the pie. It is a gorgeous pie and not difficult, just takes time.

Posted: 13 July 2014 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Suzette,

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I would love to see a pic of this beautiful pie, if possible.

I know a lady that makes a home-made cherry pie with very little syrup and it is amazing. She uses cherries grown from a tree she planted in her yard.

I think I’ll have to take a look at Rose’s cookbook now!!

Abbey

Posted: 15 July 2014 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-07-11

Sure, here is a photo of one I made recently. The fruit-to-syrup ratio is really perfect. And even though I use a lot of cherries, the amount of sugar and cornstarch and salt still tastes perfect to me. The weight of cherries I gave (1300 grams) is the weight I buy (with stems and pits).

Image Attachments
20140629_170356.jpg

Posted: 15 July 2014 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-07-11

And another recent one. I also sprinkle a little sugar on the glazed lattice, just makes it sparkle.

Image Attachments
20140706_145031.jpg

Posted: 15 July 2014 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2011-12-25

Beautiful is right!

I have a jar of Morello cherries that should work, I hope. Thanks for sharing your pic and I will follow your directions.

Posted: 20 July 2014 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Those look like amazing pies, so happy to see those photos! smile

I also love to reduce the liquid in cherry pies.  They give off so much liquid, and I like the texture of the filling better without a large amount of gelled liquid.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 25 July 2014 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

Suzette, would you be able to estimate the weight of the cherries after they are pitted for me? I want to try your version, but my cherries are pitted frozen ones I’ve been hoarding. Sour Cherries are a bit harder to come by here, so when I can get them I buy lots and freeze ‘em! smile Thanks so much!! BTW your pies look fantastic!!

Posted: 25 July 2014 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

your pie looks great! are you eliminating the cornstarch completely?

Posted: 29 July 2014 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-07-11

Hello Kuchenbaaker, I probably end up with about 1200 grams of cleaned, pitted cherries. I like it to fill my 10inch pie plate nicely, fully and mound slightly.

Hello Rose, I use all the ingredients (including cornstarch) in the amounts listed in the recipe, except I increase the fresh sour cherries to 1300 grams (weight with pits and stems).  I do not feel a need to increase the sugar. For my taste and the sour cherries I buy here, it is a perfect mix of sweetness and tartness. I macerate the fruit in the sugar and cornstarch for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and cook the liquid till I have a clear and translucent syrup. For me I do that about 3 minutes or a touch longer because when I cooked it less, I got a slight cornstarch aftertaste in the finished pie. Then I add 2/3 cup of the syrup a back to the cherries and bake as instructed in the book.

I love this recipe and the cookbook! I am so fortunate to be able to buy beautiful, fresh sour cherries for about 5 weeks every summer. And I have 2 pies’ worth in the freezer for the coming winter. I know they are very hard to find in the US. I spent summers in Colorado as a kid, where both my grandmother and uncle had cherry trees and were avid cherry pie bakers. Cherry pie = summer time.

I attached two more photos and here the fruit-to-syrup ratio is clearer to see. And you can see the consistency of the syrup is not too thin, not too thick. Just perfect.

Image Attachments
166_-_Copy.jpg165_-_Copy.jpg