Chocolate Tweed Angel Food Cake, from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes (p.159)
Posted: 13 July 2014 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-08

I made this cake twice recently. With the same result: it collapsed on the counter, when it was cooling off, reversed on a bottle.

I have been checking my oven temperature and it seems o.k., but, after 30 minutes, the cake tester was wet. I left it 5 or 10 minutes more, checking regularly. When I removed it from the oven, it has begun to shrink from the sides, so, it was no surprise that it felt on the counter.

The pan is the right size, I think (the batter almost fills the pan: there is approximatly 1 inch left).

Is it possible that the cake tester should be not perfectly clean when the cake is ready?

Posted: 13 July 2014 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Francine,

Sorry to hear your about your cakes collapsing. I just made this cake(for the first-time)and worried about it falling out of the pan, especially after reading so many stories.

My cake did not fall out and I used a non-stick pan. I did line the pan with batter and the only thing I did to test for doneness was lightly touch it to see if it had a spring to it. The cake had not started to pull away from the sides, but it was getting brown so I figured it was close enough. So, over-baking might be an issue.

Good luck if you try it again. smile

Abbey

Posted: 14 July 2014 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

There has been a bit of discussion regarding tube bake sponge cakes.  I had some issues with mine in the past, but I have taken the temperature of my recent cakes and have found that internal temperatures of about 203-204F kept the sponge (angel or chiffon) in the pan.  It’s just a theory—you definitely don’t want to underbake a sponge cake.  I just made a genoise and didn’t properly set/start timer and was “guessing”—I guessed wrong—it caved in at the sides even though a toothpick was clean. 

Posted: 15 July 2014 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18
Francine - 13 July 2014 06:10 PM

I made this cake twice recently. With the same result: it collapsed on the counter, when it was cooling off, reversed on a bottle.

I have been checking my oven temperature and it seems o.k., but, after 30 minutes, the cake tester was wet. I left it 5 or 10 minutes more, checking regularly. When I removed it from the oven, it has begun to shrink from the sides, so, it was no surprise that it felt on the counter.

The pan is the right size, I think (the batter almost fills the pan: there is approximatly 1 inch left).

Is it possible that the cake tester should be not perfectly clean when the cake is ready?

FRANCINE:
  Good morning. We here are sorry that you have sustained a baking disappointment. What member SHERRIE posted to you has much merit. That is just one possibility that caused your baking failure.

You mentioned in your post that you “THINK” you employed the correct sized tube pan. Well you need a 16, cup pan for this. Soooo, just to be certain just add 16, cups of water into it. This will tell you what you have. If not it is smaller then post back & tell me the size & I will reduce the recipe for you.

Now then Francine, there is another reason why there can be a failure. It has to do with the egg whites whipping. I do not know of your experience in doing this simple operation. In the event you are experienced then just let me correct the recipe. DO NOT WHIP to “STIFF PEAKS” That is POOR practice. Correct practice is to FIRM peaks. In whipping to stiff peaks is getting into DRYING the whites & they have a tendency to deflate somewhat. This is why there can be a failure in this type of baking. Firm peaks are the tips curl over no more than 1/4, inch. If you wish me to go over the whipping technique with you post back & we will both go thru it together.

Francine when baking in these type pans it is best you do not place it in a sheet pan…place it on top of the oven grating.

Till then enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.