Breville Oven
Posted: 26 July 2014 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I just received a Breville Smart Oven (large model) for my birthday and I am happy to report it did a decent job of baking a full sized bundt cake in the oven.  I used CIs Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake and my pan has a dark coating on it.  Since the pan fills the oven almost completely, I opted to use convection to circulate the air for more consistent temperature.  Though the recipe says to bake at 350F, I opted to bake at 325F on convection since I had a darker pan (note—this is actual temp—I had to set the oven to 340F to achieve a consistent 325F).  Anyway, I baked the cake until 190F internally (which I think amounted to 48 minutes—but I didn’t write down how long I set the oven for—40 mins or 45?? oops!).  The cake rose evenly and there was one spot on the top where the crust was overbrowned and starting to darken.  This however, was easily modified by picking off (and sampling the crust).  Otherwise, the cake looks evenly baked (even upon unmolding).  I won’t be slicing until next week but I’m generally pleased with how the cake turned out.  I figured a Bundt may possibly be pushing the limits given how close to the top of the oven it sits once risen—yet aside from the one dark spot, it was nicely baked.

Posted: 27 July 2014 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

That’s good to know; my family always gives me gift cards to Williams Sonoma and they are having a summer clearance (and chefs get an additional 20% off!) so I might just go check this out!  Thanks Sherrie!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 27 July 2014 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Jeanne, I opted to keep the unit, despite many reviews indicating the unit stops working…I bought an extended warrant (which I never do), but in this case the product sounds a little flaky.  When it works, it’s a great unit…I kept my old toaster oven in the box..just in case there are issues!  I hope I luck out and will be using it 5 years from now!

Posted: 27 July 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1213
Joined  2009-11-24

yes, good to know…keep us posted on other uses. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 29 July 2014 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

i adore my breville smart oven.  i have the small version, which does not have convection.  i am planning to get the bigger one, a size in between the biggest and the small.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/