Adding more sugar to sweet bread dough
Posted: 13 December 2008 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-12-06

I have a sweet bread recipe that uses sour cream.  I use it at this time of year to make candy cane breads.
However, my husband has decided the bread dough should have more sugar.  It currently uses 1/3 cup of sugar to 6.5 cups of flour.
does anyone have any idea if I need to add any other ingredients if I were to double the sugar?

Many thanks,

Tanya

Posted: 13 December 2008 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18

BABA:
Good morning to you. Baba, Sugar is a good friend to a yeasted lean or rich dough concoction. However, when it is to, to to much it becomes an enemy. Why you ask ...... because both ingredients including the flour & salt if any are hygroscopic. That means that in order for the aforementioned ingredients require a liquid (Hydration) in order to do their thing. However Baba, the problem here is that after the flour takes their allotment of hydration then the sugar & then the salt come for their share.  There isn’t enough hydration for the yeast to do it’s thing. Yeast is ALWAYS last.
Result the gluten isn’t fully developed properly & you have a bucket of white trash.
  Baba the only way to do this, if you are employing a bread machine, follow the directions. Omit the the sugar…. Mix for about 4, minutes. Stop the machine this way the yeast gets a chance to begin doing it’s thing. Then add the sugar. Then continue.

If you are using a electric stand mixer like a kitchen aid, I would add 2 or 3 TBLS of honey instead. Then let your husband tell you how it came out. I might add that honey is anti staling as well.
Baba you can do the honey thing in the bread machine as well instead of the addede granulated sugar.

Let us know how well you have fared in this baked product thing.

Good luck & enjoy the week-end.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 14 December 2008 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-12-06

thank you for your very well written explanation of the order of hydration.  I will try the honey the next time I bake the coffee cake which will probably be in the next few days as I give them out as Christmas presents.  Will let you know how it turns out.

Baba