enough buttercream for filling a 12 inch and a 10 inch round cake
Posted: 03 August 2014 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2011-05-15

So i have entered my very first competition which requires me to bake a tiered cake ! Have never tiered a cake before so i really don’t know what imgoign to do. However i do know what I’m going to bake =) A chocolate butter cake with the praline chocolate buttercream. Wanted to know how much of buttercream to make to fill a single layer of a 12 inch and 10 inch cake.

Posted: 05 August 2014 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds great, good luck with the contest! 

Rose has a wedding cake in the Cake Bible that is very similar to what you’re planning, it is on p. 216.

And there’s a chart that tells you how much frosting to make for any size cake, it’s on p. 513.  It sounds like you’re asking how much frosting for just the filling between the layers, is that right?  If so, the chart says a total of 3 cups for the two cakes you mention.

I generally find that the amounts in that chart are an absolute minimum for a thin layer of frosting with no piping, most of the time I need a little more to fill in here or there.

Hope that helps:)

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II