2 of 2
Puff pastry - Homemade or Store Bought?
Posted: 15 August 2014 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  340
Joined  2011-12-25

You are very welcome. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Gigi it is!! smile

Posted: 16 August 2014 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I know!

If apples are cut with a mandoline, it’s a Gigi.
If apples are cut by hand, it’s Grimble Grumble!

Posted: 16 August 2014 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

That’s a perfect description. Funny!!  The next time I’ll make the Gigi then if I can get that mandolin to work. smile

I was just looking in the RHC and decided to make the Marble Velvet cake. It looks delicious and not difficult at all. So, that’s my plan for tomorrow.

I hope you are having a wonderful evening.

Posted: 18 August 2014 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, Abbey!  You, too!  I hear the Marble Velvet is yummy—please report back on it!!!!!

Posted: 18 August 2014 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Okay, have you ever preheated the oven to 350*, put the cake in and then changed it to 325* ? Well, that is what I did to the Marble Velvet cake last night. I noticed it didn’t look right after about 20 mins. It was growing from the outside, up and into the middle. It looked like lava. I’ve never had trouble unmolding a bundt cake but this was a challenge and I barely got it on the cooling rack in one piece. Isn’t that just how it goes-I thought this would be easy. I wonder if the lowering of the temperature was the only problem though. The cake was really crumbly.

I wondered if my technique for the marbling was correct. It seemed not but that shouldn’t have caused problems with it baking? Gosh, I wonder if I mixed it too long.   

The good thing, it tasted good.

Here are some photos. 

Image Attachments
mvc.jpgmvc1.jpgmvc2.jpg

Posted: 19 August 2014 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Okay, Ms. A., I haven’t made this cake, so you are going to get a lot of guesses from me.  Also, you have made far more bundts that I, but here goes ...

1.  Maybe your instinct was right about the oven being too hot to begin with, due to the lava effect.
2.  Maybe you didn’t cook it long enough after lowering the temperature.

Glad it tastes good, though!

I’m sure someone else can identify the problem, though.  If you don’t get responses here—folks may have given upon this thread due to all of our silly chat grin—try making it its own thread in cakes.

Posted: 19 August 2014 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18
abbey - 18 August 2014 06:07 PM

Okay, have you ever preheated the oven to 350*, put the cake in and then changed it to 325* ? Well, that is what I did to the Marble Velvet cake last night. I noticed it didn’t look right after about 20 mins. It was growing from the outside, up and into the middle. It looked like lava. I’ve never had trouble unmolding a bundt cake but this was a challenge and I barely got it on the cooling rack in one piece. Isn’t that just how it goes-I thought this would be easy. I wonder if the lowering of the temperature was the only problem though. The cake was really crumbly.

I wondered if my technique for the marbling was correct. It seemed not but that shouldn’t have caused problems with it baking? Gosh, I wonder if I mixed it too long.   

The good thing, it tasted good.

Here are some photos. 

ABBEY:
  Good morning. I must ask you this ???? When you began to bake, did you place the BUNDT PAN on the oven grating or did you place a baking sheet pan in & then placed the BUNDT PAN on top of the sheet pan????

Abbey, I ask because If you used the 2nd option you would get a baked product that is like you have photographed…..not fully baked thru.

Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.
    ~FRESHKID.

Posted: 19 August 2014 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I did not use a baking sheet, FreshKid. The change in the temp must have done it. I should try it again this weekend just to know the answer. Oh and it was baked thru for the most part.

I will try it again and let you know. I followed the recipe except for the oven change. At the last minute, I read the part about lowering the temp if using a dark pan. I should have taken the cake out and waited for the temp to lower. That’s what happens when you need sleep. smile

Thanks for helping me ‘young man’ and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day, friend. !!

Posted: 19 August 2014 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Anne, Good guesses. I’ll try it again.

BTW, I just got a request to make that Chocolate Coffee Cake with the cooked frosting. That was the best dang cake ever. smile

Posted: 19 August 2014 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Yay!  That cake kicks.  People still bring it up at work.  You know what the all-time popular fave has been among the co-workers?  The Bobby Flay Coconut Cake.  Another massively fabulous cake!

Posted: 24 August 2014 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Yah!! I like the recipes you post, a lot!! Thanks so much. I will take on that challenge, one day, and I’m sure it will be a favorite. Many folks at work love coconut, so that will be perfect.

I did make the Marble Velvet cake this morning. I will post it in the S&T section and go into more detail.

Posted: 01 September 2014 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Anne in NC - 19 August 2014 10:28 PM

Yay!  That cake kicks.  People still bring it up at work.  You know what the all-time popular fave has been among the co-workers?  The Bobby Flay Coconut Cake.  Another massively fabulous cake!

Hi Anne, Just a quick question: Did you use the rum in this cake? This will take some work, but since I somehow angered my boss wink and coconut being a favorite, I’m feeling it necessary to bring in something really nice tomorrow. Hopefully this beauty will patch things up!

Also, did you see the blog where the bundt cake is being transformed? I think it is time again to experiment with the bundt, peaches maybe. Can’t let things go to waste and being quite inspired by this, I’m thinking bundt-time tonight. 

Thanks !!

Posted: 04 September 2014 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, abbey!

Sorry for no reply—I’ve been super-busy lately and just saw your question today!!

I did use the rum, and I also used all of the syrup.  If you made this cake for your boss, I will bet you are out of the doghouse.  This cake is amazing!

Let me know!

Haven’t seen the bundt thread your speaking of, though ...

—ak

Posted: 05 September 2014 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi there Anne, No need to be sorry, you know I understand!! Well, I tell ya, that cake was a far cry from the recipe but I jut kept on until I had a finished dessert. I’m out of the doghouse(once again) and they don’t even know what they’re missin’!!!

Some problems, like adding too much butter into the batter and having to redo the custard and not having enough custard for both the filling and the buttercream, occurred ...heehee. That’s okay though, I’ll do better next time.

The thread about bunts is on the blog. It is Hector Wong’s blog.

Have a good day, Anne, and if you have any other suggestions, recipes or ‘what-have-you’, I’m a listening!! smile

Thanks

Posted: 05 September 2014 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Forgot to show a pic of it. It looks good and tasted good so I’m good with it. smile cheese

Image Attachments
coconutcake.jpg

2 of 2